1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by iissmart, Jan 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. iissmart

iissmart Thread Starter

I currently have a 60GB Maxtor hard drive, and I am planning on buying a larger one, perhaps a 200GB or larger. I have a few questions before I go out and buy one:

How much should I plan on spending for a hard drive?

What is a good brand to buy from?

Should I get a 7,200 rpm or 10,000 rpm hard drive?

Can I transfer my files on my old hard drive to the new one without losing/corrupting some of the files? Will I still have all the shortcuts and start menu items when I transfer? Will it be exactly the same as with the smaller hard drive except with more space?

Thank you for your help.

2. stod73

stod73

Why do you need such a large hard drive? What operating system?

3. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

This is one of the most common questions around.

My general advice;
    Assuming that there is nothing "physically" wrong with the 60gig drive, leave it as it is and install the larger "new" drive as a slave to the original drive.
    There are lots of places to buy them, many with rebates. You'll have to check with local dealers or go for an on-line place like Newegg.com or Tigerdirect.com. Prices vary from week to week though because of sales and promotions.
    I have had good service from Western Digital and IBM drives in my own machines and installed several Maxtor drives for others.

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

200 gig Seagate just went off sale Saturday at CompUSA for $99 after rebates. I'm sure it'll be back around again.

5. iissmart

iissmart Thread Starter

well, LONGHAIR, i just happened to notice that when i boot up my computer, i get a message that says "WARNING: BACK UP ALL FILES ON HARD DRIVE AND REPLACE IMMEDIATELY. A FAILURE IS IMMINENT"...so i'm guessing that i will need to copy all the files to another hard drive...

also, i'm using Windows 2000

and the reason i'm buying such a large hard drive is because i have a lot of games, and i download massive files of the internet, so i need space to put them all....plus, with a large hard drive, i won't need to worry about the space issues for a long, long, time...

6. ~Candy~

Just for fun, you might check Maxtor's website, it still could be under warranty. And I speak from experience, that message isn't kidding ;)

7. stod73

stod73

You'd be better off buying 2 (or more, depending on how many your PC will support) 80gb hard drives for around $75 a piece. Costs more but this way you aren't putting all your eggs in one basket.

8. phatmattrat

phatmattrat

I personally think you should stick with Maxtor brand. I have an 80GB Maxtor HD, its great. No problems at all. You should probably stick to 7200RPM also, 10 000RPM isn't too advisable unless you've got a nice HD cooling solution, even the 7200's run rather hot sometimes. If you're interested in a *slightly* bigger hard drive than what you've got now, visit www.wintroniccomputers.com I got my Maxtor drive there, they've got the one I got for $99 CDN, thats only about $70 USD.

EDIT: Even better idea to go with the 120GB Maxtor drive for $120 CDN, its more in your range I think.

9. stod73

stod73

10. ~Candy~

11. stod73

stod73

Boo-yah!!!

12. ~Candy~

13. iissmart

iissmart Thread Starter

how do i find the serial number of my hard drive?

14. ~Candy~

Should be on the top of it.

15. iissmart

iissmart Thread Starter

ok, status report:
    • The hard drive either got a virus, or started failing, because nothing worked...basically the only thing i could do on the computer was turn it on and off (i'm pretty sure it was a combination of both...)
    • I went and bought a 160 GB hard drive for a great deal ($60)
    • I put it in, installed stuff, changed settings to my liking, then i realized that i only partitioned 127 GB of the hard drive
    • I went to try to partition the rest, but it didn't see any more of the hard drive...
    • Then, the new hard drive couldn't boot up...something about a file missing in the Windows 2000 installation...
    so, currently, I am reformatting the 127 GB partition into NTFS to reinstall windows on it...

But the main question here is...how do I get the hard drive to see the rest of the space?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!