1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ronman, Dec 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ronman

Ronman Thread Starter

New here..in fact, fairly new to computers. I have Dell PC that a friend gave me when he got a new one. It is a Pentium III (550 mhz) with 384 mb of ram and running Windows 98SE. It has a 6gb hard drive which I want to upgrade. So I have bought a 40bg Maxtor hard drive. Ideally, I would like to create a small segment (maybe 2gb) for the os and leave the rest for my other programs. I want to do this because the last PC I had, a Packard Bell with Windows 95, was always self-destructing and I had to use the recovery disk to reload the os at least 4 times a year, thus losing all my programs every time. While I find 98SE to be much more stable, I thought segmenting the drive would be a good idea. Am I wrong about this? Can I just fire up the PC with this new hard drive in it, install the os and use a program like Partiton Magic (I have a disk for this) to segment the hard drive or is there more to it than this? Do I have to format the new hard drive in some manner? I appreciate any help you can give this old timer. Thanks.

2. angel

angel

Have you considered keeping the 6GB in there for the OS/programs and just adding the 40GB for downloads/data/etc?
    Regardless of which way you go, if you ever have to reload your OS, you'd need to reinstall your programs anyway, even if they are on a different partition or disk, since the installs write to the registry and place required files in the Windows... directory.

3. Ronman

Ronman Thread Starter

Thats not a bad idea Angel, but I think there is only one slot for a hard drive in this PC. I assume you are saying that I should keep the old hard drive as the primary and install the new one as a slave? I bought this hard drive from a gentleman on Ebay and it is brand new but there is no documentation. Won't I have a jumper issue? Can I go to the Maxtor web site and find the solution. That is assuming I can figure out how to mount this second hard drive in the case somewhere. Again, will I have to format this drive?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You must create at least one partition and format the drive to enable windows to "See" it. It is a good idea to install this new drive as a slave; this way you will not have to reload your os. Another option is to use the disk mfgs software to do a disk copy. This transfers all data on the old disk to the new disk.

If you do decide to install both drives, I would suggest using an imaging program like acronis true image or norton ghost. If you make an image of your primary drive, you can restore it in a matter of min.

Here is a link to acronis true image you can download the trial version and see if you like it. FWIW I have ghost, drive image and true image; by far my favorite is acronis true image.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW if you do not have another 3 1/2 slot for a hd, you can install the drive into a 5 1/4 bay using drive rails.

6. Ronman

Ronman Thread Starter

How do I create the one partiton you spoke of Angel?

7. Ronman

Ronman Thread Starter

I'm sorry. I should have addressed my last question to crjdriver. How do I go about creating a partiton on this new drive?

8. DVOM

DVOM

You can create a partition and format it with PartitionMagic. So install PM and create the 2 rescue floppies. Actually create a couple of sets of rescue floppies as they're unreliable.

These instructions are for booting from the floppies as that's how I always do it.

Then after you've hooked up the new drive, boot to the PM floppies. You'll get to a screen that displays your main drive. Up in the left corner there's a drop down menu to display the new drive.

Right click on the unallocated space on the new drive and choose "create". You'll get a menu to create one of three types of partitions.

1) Primary, this type of partition is for the Operating System (OS)

2) Extended, this type is created to house Logical partitions.

3) Logical, if all you're going to use the partition for is data storage or installing programs, this type is what you want.

So if it's to be a data partition first create an extended partition filling the entire drive. Then create one or more logical partitions within that extended partition. Fill the entire extended partition.

Then right click on the logical partition/s you've created and choose "format". Since you're using Win98 you want to format as FAT32.

*For safety you might want to disconnect your main drive when you do this partitioning. That'll make sure you don't accidentally damage the main drive. Or if PM crashes or otherwise fails, it won't affect your OS.

Also I recommend "applying" each step as you go. I/E create an extended partition then click "apply". Then create the logical partition, "apply". Then format the partition, "apply".

Applying each step separately I think cuts down on potential problems that some people have using PartitionMagic.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you are going to install this drive as a slave drive, then there is no need for any third party app like pm. Just install the drive and boot with a win9x boot disk. Run fdisk and create the partition. Reboot and format the drive. Restart the computer and your os should recognize the drive. BTW when you run fdisk and format, I recommend [if you are not experienced] to disconnect the master disk. This way there is no chance of running fdisk / format on the original disk. After you are finished, just reconnect the disk making sure jumper setting is correct.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!