1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jellis, Jul 15, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jellis

jellis Thread Starter

Hello,

I have an Hewlett-Packard Pavilion PC, Model 8240. This system is a Pentium 233 MMX CPU, 96MB SDRAM, and Win95 OS. The current system has a 4GB Hard drive. I have an opportunity to aquire a Quantum 20.5GB Fireball Plus Hard drive.

My 1st question - Will it work as a replacement for my system? I have read that alot of the past system could only handle up to 8.4GB max.

I want to upgrade to Win98.

My 2nd question - If the above drive will work, can I put my original drive as the 2nd hard drive and pull off the files from the original drive onto the new one. Or will the Win95 OS being installed on the original drive conflict with new one. I am trying to avoid backing up all my files and I have alot of them. If I had a CDRW, backup wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the info.

2. brianF

brianF

Being that you want to upgrade to win98 I would think the best way to do it would be to remove your current drive by disconnecting the ide cabe, leave it physically in the machine.
    Install the new drive as master.
    Fdisk and format the new drive, choose y to the lba message, if your system won't see the entire drive you may have to use a manufacturers overlay to get the full size.
    Install win98 to the new drive, it will ask for your original win95 cd to verify if it's an upgrade version.
    Once you have win98 running, reconnect your old drive and set it as master or slave depending on which ide you have to put it on.
    You should be able to copy what you need off the drive then you can format it and use it for backup or whatever

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!