1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brandon34, Nov 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brandon34

brandon34 It's My Birthday! Thread Starter

Hello...
    I currently have a 36 GB SCSI u160 on my Dell Precision 530- Windows XP Prof. (upgrade). I want to install a larger capacity drive, assign it to be the boot drive (as well as partition it for storage), and keep the original for data. The drive I’m looking at adding is the Seagate ST3146707LW- 146GB, u320. I have a series of questions:

1.) Will this drive will be compatible with my machine? Other forums indicate that the u320 drive will default to the u160 speed (I have an Adaptec AIC-7892 PCI…if that helps)
    2.) Once I’ve backed up all of my info, is it just a matter of installing the new drive giving it SCSI ID 0 (and giving the old one a different ID#) and reformatting? Or are there additional steps that I need to go through?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. brandon34

brandon34 It's My Birthday! Thread Starter

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!