1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JMT74, Jul 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JMT74

JMT74 Thread Starter

Yeah I have this old Compaq Deskpro EN Pent. III 733mhz processor that I wanna setup again for my bro to use. The hard drive bit the dust before I could reformat it. The hard drive is a 10 gb one. I wanna if I could upgrade it to lets say an 80 gb hard drive? Also I wanna put Linux OS on it. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

2. BG-0

BG-0

3. JMT74

JMT74 Thread Starter

Yeah but will the BIOS in that computer be able to handle a hard drive that big?

4. BG-0

BG-0

Heck, I don't know right now if that old computer can use any hard drive available today. It has an ATA 66 drive by default, and the slowest ATA drives buyable are ATA 100 and ATA 133 like those. The size should be no problem. Do you have any idea of your motherboard, I can't find which MB your computer has.

5. bigbear

bigbear

I would not go any higher than 80g.
    There may be a bios limitation for large drive support with a machine that old.

6. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Thread reopened per request.

7. win2kpro

win2kpro

I have an old Gateway 500 essential that originally had a 20GB drive. I flashed the BIOS to the last available and tried an 80GB drive and BIOS recognized it with no problem.

The only way you will know what the board will support if it is not specified in the manual, is just to install a drive and try it. On an old board I would stay below 137GB.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!