1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

upgrading hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by julia071, Mar 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. julia071

julia071 Thread Starter

i would like to upgrade my hard drive. i am upgrading the memory to 512 mb ram within the next week. im waiting on it to be delivered. i have an ibm thinkpad r31. i would like to upgrade to a 40g. right now i believe i only have a 20g. i am trying to make my laptop faster and better. how do you tell what hard drives will work for your computer. i have searched online and couldnt figure it out. i had found this hard drive and thought i would try to find out if it would work. im lost.... lol ... http://tulsa.craigslist.org/sys/1088622846.html . you guys are all great. thank you.

2. bigbear

bigbear

I can't seem to find what type of hard drive you have but I am almost certain it will be a pata/ide drive not a sata as in the link.
    I have found with laptops that ram and hard drives are brand specific, in other words they can be fickle about what particular make of hardware is installed especially ram.
    If you google the make and model no quite a few sites supply hard drives for that model.
    You will then need to hook up the drive in an encloser or an adapter to enable you to clone your old drive to the new

3. saikee

saikee

According to this web site your hard disk is an IDE type.

Just buy a 2.5" IDE hard disk, put it on an USB hard disk enclosure and clone the hard disk. Remove the old one and install the new disk. Should be a less-than-hour job, assuming the transfer rate of 10Mb/s for 20Gb. I checked my record and it was 18.2Mb/s for a Pata (or IDE) to a USB Pata disk. To replace the hard disk it is between 3 to 4 Phlip head screws but make sure you get a proper small screw driver for the task

The procedure is at the first link of my signature.

I wouldn't replace anything less than 160Gb.

4. julia071

julia071 Thread Starter

thank you both so much.....i will save this thread and follow your instructions...you guys are great. thank you.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

I agree with saikee. You may think at this point that 80 GB's is enough, but you may regret it later. The price difference would probably be small, so go for the largest size you can or want to spend money on.

6. julia071

julia071 Thread Starter

the 80gb on ebay is running 110.00 and the 160gb is running about 60.00. does this make sense?.....lol..i will go with the 160gb. thank you so much.

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    When Purchasing Computer Hardware from sellers on eBay, choose sellers that have a good return policy. often you can find the same item new from a retail online outfit for the same price or possibly less than it is selling on eBay for.

8. hrlow2

hrlow2

Also when shopping on eBay, check the sellers reputation rating.I personally stick with 99.8% or better.
    My Gateway E4100 that I'm using now was from there ($75.00) (P4 3.4GHz HT, 1GB RAM, 40GB HDD) and a seller rating of 99.9%.
    Just to show that you can get some pretty good deals there.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!