1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading Hardware & Operating System

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by pfoerste, Dec 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pfoerste

pfoerste Thread Starter

I am upgrading my MOBO, CPU, Ram etc. and going from 98se to XP pro. How does this procedure sound?

Back up files to D:\ drive, then format C:\ drive.
    Re-build computer. Leave printer, scanner and
    USB peripherals disconnected.
    On first startup go into the BIOS, check settings
    and make sure CD Rom is set as 1st boot drive.
    Restart computer with xp pro cd in cd rom drive,
    and follow setup instructions.
    Install SP2
    Install MOBO drivers then other hardware drivers.
    Load programs.

Any advice will be appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. junker39

junker39

pfoerste, sounds good to me with one exception. I would install your mobo and other drivers, before SP2. The system won't be tempted to run the Found New Hardware wizard on restart. Do you have SP2 on disc? If not, make sure you install your anti-virus program and a good firewall before getting on the net to download it.
    Are you taking the HD out of your 98 PC to build the new one? For a few bucks more, you could get a new HD for the XP machine and leave the 98 in running condition for emergency use when XP goes screwy on you. Just an idea. Good luck.

3. ezymony

ezymony

Thats a good idea i have a 4gig hd that i left 98 on that will boot in case of an emergency.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I would actually install SP2 before any drivers, unless you need to get online then install Ethernet/modem drivers.. Some drivers require some features of SP1 and SP2 for proper operation. Examples: USB 2.0, latest ATI drivers want .Net Framework, most new drivers want DirectX 9.0c, IDE and SATA drivers may need 48bit LBA support, etc.

New XP CD's already have SP2 so you may not even have to worry about it.

5. pfoerste

pfoerste Thread Starter

Thanks for the Replys.
    The HD's are from my 98 machine they are not too old, if I had too I could alway stick 98 on the d\ it's already got the cab files on it.
    I'll have the sp2 on disk, and I am going to download all the newest drivers for my other hardware before I take this machine down, and have them stored on the d:\ and mabe a cd.

I have norton utilities 2002 which I can take the AV off of, it will need to be updated. I guess it will load on to XP.
    I will download one of the free AV's just in case it won't load. I will have ZoneAlarm.

Thanks again.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I wouldn't even bother with Norton; just get the free AVG antivirus and enjoy a better running system.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/312211

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice