1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading HDD, Tried to install cloned HDD, lappie won't boot up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cgjung, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cgjung

cgjung Thread Starter

I tried to put the newly cloned HDD (120 GB) on my Dell Inspiron 1405 to replace the old HDD (60 GB), but when it tried to boot up, the error message said the HDD was corrupted and stopped the process. I'm guessing the BIOS is still thinking about old HDD (60GB) in placed and when verify in BIOS setup, it has the old setting (60GB). I was expecting the BIOS will update itself when new HDD was installed. Is there anyway to update the BIOS on dell inspiron 1405, so it will recognize my newly cloned HDD? I did not see any option to reset HDD setting in BIOS. What is the right step on putting cloned HDD on old laptop? I appreciate if anybody can provide answer. Thanks.

OK... I used Samsung 120GB to replace the original HD (Fujitsu 60GB); somehow... I can not see the full capacity of the HDD, it only showed 58GB, further checking showed the LBA is only half the actual capacity. After not being able to install this (cloned) HDD, I low-level-formatted the HDD (while still primary, sole HDD in laptop), but the capacity is still half of the actual. Does the BIOS restrict the HDD capacity? When I put this HDD on enclosure, the capacity remains half of the actual. Is there any way to restore its capacity to 120GB. Please help.:( :( :(

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594152

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice