1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

upgrading laptop dvd rom

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by oldunion, Sep 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. oldunion

oldunion Thread Starter

I have a Toshiba Satellite a25-s207. The dvd/dcrw drive is dying and im interested in removing that completely and upgrading to a dvd+-rw/cdrw drive. Do i have to get a toshiba drive or is there a way to check compatibility with off brand merchandise?

2. Sponsor

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    If you check the toshiba website, you may find exactly what you are looking for that matches your Laptop. That means the Drawer bezel will be correct and look right. If you get one from another source, it may mechanically, physically and electronically work properly but the Drawer bezel may not (probably wont) math and actually may hinder proper closing. I went through 3 third party Dvdrw's for my Dell Inspiron before I found one that would work physically. And the plastic still didnt match but didnt interfere with operation.

4. oldunion

oldunion Thread Starter

thanks that was helpful. Toshiba doesnt offer a drive upgrade from their site. the s307 comes with a dvdrw and they look similar, i just wonder if anyone has heard of this kind of an upgrade...

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I did it on my Inspiron. It worked though the drive would not allow to boot from disc. According to Dell Tech Support my model wouldnt support a dvd rom let alone a burner at all.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can sometimes remove the front drawer bezel and use it on the replacement drive. Or remove all the propertiary plastic casing and put it on the new drive.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/498886