Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Upgrading motherboard, case question

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Bumbledor 
#1 ·
Guys, I have decided its time to replace the old asus motherboard to something more modern. This one is from 2006, I think,, or somewhere about that time.. Its got USB 2.0 and SATA II.

Looking at new Asus motherboards with SATA III and USB 3.1

I plan on continuing using my cooler master HAF fulls size tower case if I can. but I have a question about USB stuff.

the front has 2 USB 2.0 ports that plug into a mother board. If I plug those into the new mother board, will they work as USB 3.1? Or is there a difference between them?

And if that is the case, the new MB I am thinking of getting has USB 3.1 connectors in the back. Would I need to get USB 3.1 cables to have a connection up front?

Or do I just need to get a newer case, which is probably what will happen sooner or later..

Thanks.

#4 ·
Need to know the exact model of your case.

With the new mobo....will you be getting a new CPU or using your old one.....something consider for compatibility if using old CPU for mobo choice. With new mobo you will need new RAM as it will surly have DDR4.
Well, looking at the new MB's out there, looks like I will have to go with Win 10 from the start. This means I won't be able to use the old AMD CPU. Oh well.. Yeah, DDR4 is the memory most of them now use. Figure about 400 bucks for the MB, CPU, 16G mem' modules.

#3 ·
No, USB2 and USB3 use different type connectors for the motherboard. Your old case will not have the usb3 port or connector.
You can however use the old case and install a usb3 adapter like this one;
https://www.newegg.com/en-labs-3-5fp-20p2u3a-usb/p/0J2-00G2-00001?Description=usb 3.0 front panel hub&cm_re=usb_3.0_front_panel_hub-_-9SIACJF54D3201-_-Product
A few years ago, many high end motherboards came with a adapter to use on old cases however that has not been done for a while since all modern cases have usb3.

You will have to decide which option is more cost effective. Using the old case and purchasing something like the above OR just getting a modern case with the connectors you need.

#5 ·
Yeah, I want to keep my Cooler Master HAF 932 case if possible.. I looked at the new ones, and did not like what I saw.. so I will be ordering something like that to put in one of the empty slots in the case. Then I can have both USB2 and 3, on the front. Thanks.

#8 ·
As I said a few years ago, high end motherboards came with an adapter to allow use of usb 3. I must have at least 5~6 of those things around here. Now that is not done simply because any modern case is going to have at least usb3 and perhaps usb 3 type C.

#9 ·
Yeah, my new MB has 3 in back, and looks like 2 headers for up front.. The problem with the CM HAF 932 is the 4 in the front are USB2. Wonder if I can swamp them out with USB3 from that adapter? Ging to look into it. If successful, I will post pictures.. And while I have that front panel off, Im going to take out the E-Sata connector, and that other thing between the 2 sets of USB ports.. never used them, might as well get rid of them or cover them up.

The problem here is, I like the case I have, just want to upgrade the front panel.
And I did not like the new ones I saw over on Cooler Master.

#11 ·
No upgrade for the Haf 932 front panel. New case yes, but I don't like the 2 versions I see..
Thought about getting a spare front panel and trying to re-engineer it.. but they want 15 bucks for it and 17 to ship it! Well, I don't need it that bad. And I can still try to re-engineer this one before I am forced to dish out 35 bucks for another one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.