1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading motherboard, hard-drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by casanders, Dec 12, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. casanders

casanders Thread Starter

I'm thinking about doing a complete upgrade on my computer.

All I really want to save from my original tower is my 128MB of RAM and the processor. My motherboard was the 'onboard' type, so I'll be needing several new parts. I have a Pentium II 400MHz processor that I want to keep. What type of motherboard should I buy (keeping in mind the $$$)? (make personal recommendations). What type of hard-drive (10GB+ of course)?

Also, if someone could point out a good site for rebuilding a PC with my specs, I'd appreciate it.

Oh yeah, would anyone know of a good place that I could get a full copy of WIN98 SE for cheap?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Col

2. brianF

brianF

First you have to determine if your tower is at or atx. If it's at buy a new atx case.
    Motherboards, my opinion, abit or asus making sure it's backwards compatible to the PII.
    As far as helpful sites there are two, both have write ups in their respective guides sections. http://www.firingsquad.com http://www.sharkyextreme.com/

Hard drive, ibm tough to beat, depends on motherboard capabilities, ata33/66/100.

3. LarryCore

LarryCore

The p2 400 is a slot 1 CPU, so make sure the motherboard you get is slot 1, not one of the newer socket models.

I agree that Asus makes great boards - the P3V4X is probably your best bet. It is about as upgradeable as a slot 1 board can get.
    http://www.asus.com/products/Motherboard/slot1.html

If the MB was an all in one, the case may have been a custom fit, requiring a new one even if it is ATX.

------------------
    Get free stuff and help out a poor computer tech:
    LarryCore begs for money

Vote for the best Tech Support site every day: VOTE for Helponthe.net!

4. Whypick1

Whypick1

Larry's right, i own a P3V4X and it's a dang fine mobo. You can use slot 1 CPUs and w/ a slotket, Socket370 chips as well (like what i'm using now. I've had a P2 33 in there and i now have a Cely2 700).

------------------
    Just remember, i could be wrong.

5. casanders

casanders Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys.

Quick question: What's the difference between an AT tower and an ATX tower? My tower was new in the summer of '99. Is it ATX?

Is EBAY a good place to buy computer components? Is there anywhere else you'd recommend?

6. LarryCore

LarryCore

ATX machines shut off themselves when you choose Shut Down in Windows.

AT machines say "It is now safe to turn off" and you have to hit the switch.

There is more to it of course, but that's the easiest way to tell which you have.

Don't forget about the custom fit I mentioned though - if you don't have a standard MB (you said you might not) the case may have been made to fit just that board and no others.

------------------
    LarryCore begs for money

7. casanders

casanders Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, LarryCore. I'm pretty sure I have a standard ATX case.

I was wondering if anyone would have some suggestions as to sound cards and video cards (I'll probably be getting the Asus P3V4X motherboard for my Pentium II processor). I don't want top of the line for either (I'm not a big gamer), so keep that in mind. I'd like something economical and capable.

8. Whypick1

Whypick1

Videocard: Geforce MX, if you do do gaming stuff, it's pretty fast, and it can be found as low as $100 if you look hard enough

soundcard: If you can find a SB-Live Value, go for it. It's out of production, but it's still supported, and it's a fine card. Can be found under $50 kinda easy

------------------

9. LarryCore

LarryCore

Where did you here the Live! value wasn't being made anymore?

If you can't find the Live! though, the SB128 is a good, solid card. The Live! is nicer, but if you can't find it...

------------------
    LarryCore begs for money

10. Slick_Nic

Slick_Nic

Sorry to intrude, but i also am going to fully upgrade ..pretty much evrythinggg and i dont know what is compatable with what..and so on

(im a gamer-q3-unreal-so on)currently i have p3 500 (i used to have sb live!value but it was either broken or compatablity prob with my p3-its gone now..i dont have a sound card currently in my computer but i still have the sb live! value card), i have a diamond viper 770,128ram, lan card and thats about it
    i would like to upgrade to a gigahertz or more while realising the cheapest price and deffinitely want more ram (total of 256) , im not sure if i should upgrade my video card or not...and if i should get a new sound card.
    Thx
    -------------
    Dont worry [​IMG], Be happy [​IMG]!

11. Whypick1

Whypick1

Sound Card: there's a compatibility issue with Coppermine chips and SB Live! cards. Solution is to install LiveWare 3.

Video: for the love of god, upgrade. S3 for one thing ditched the Gfx world, so no more support for you. Get a Radeon or a Geforce 2.

Proc: Well, if you're going cheap, go T-bird. I'd like to say Intel here becuase it isn't picky about peripherals as Athlon's are, but T-bird's are chaper by far. But if you're current motherboard supports CuMine's, then getting a P3 would be cheaper since you'd have to pick up a new board for the T-bird.

------------------

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/34557

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice