upgrading motherboard

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

plvness

Hello all I am looking to upgrade my motherboard and am not sure what

will fit in the case the case is a gateway GM5483e the motherboard in

there right now is an ECS 945gct-M3 so I'd like to get something in there

that would be good for gaming so ill be putting a video card in it also I

want to use it as a dvr and already have a TV tuner card one of the

reasons for me wanting to get a new motherboard is the pci-e card slot is

too close to the pci-e 2.0 slot to have a good video card and TV tuner

card in there at the same time so any suggestions would be most appreciated thank you

Triple6

Rob
If it's a Gateway then upgrading it is the wrong move, sell the unit as a complete and start new.

The system is old and Gateway's are poor quality units to start. You'd have to stick with an old and obsolete motherboard to be able to reuse the processor or you'd have to buy a new processor and RAM.

Secondly once you swap out the Gateway motherboard you'll need to purchase a new copy of Windows, the current copy is licensed to be only used on Gateway hardware, mainly the motherboard.

Third, you'll need a new power supply, the stock Gateway power supplies are the worst in the OEM market and are unpowered and known to fail and in some cases take out other components with them.

Fourth, if you want to do any serious gaming you'll want a more modern processor and more RAM. The model you listed supposedly comes with a Pentium D processor, and those don't do well for modern games and if you only have 1 or 2GB's of RAM than thats the minimum for a modern system and less than ideal for a gaming system.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online