1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading my Compaq Presario

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by camy, Sep 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. camy

camy Thread Starter

Right heres a very specific enquiry...

I have a Compaq Presario SR2125UK

Im looking to upgrade the graphics to a BFG 8800 GTS OC 320MB or the 640mb.

First question is can my processor handle it? (Intel Pentium D 915)

I know i have to upgrade the ram so im purchasing 4GB of DDR2 RAM for about £50 and im replacing the PSU probably with an OCZ Stealth 600W PSU. Do that sound viable? Ive only got 32bit windows so i know im loosing out on some ram but its a package deal lol.

I have tried reading into all the requirements for these upgrades such as power connectors from PSU to graphics card and motherboard and think i got a bit lost.

The BFG requires 12v of something which the OCZ provides along with more than enough power (425w required for BFG), plus both the motherboard and the PSU are PCI express compatible. And i have an extra slot to accommodate the doubledecked size of the BFG.

In terms of the required power connectors i was a bit lost. The OCZ said it has a 6/8 PCI express pin which is what the BFG requires but can somebody shed some light on this?

But im really just concerned that it was going to fit and work!

These purchases come to around about £150 so dont want to be thinking for another 100 squid i could have just bought a XBox 360! lol

Basically Im asking advise on the above upgrade decisions and any tips anyone has on installing these?

Any help would be appreciated, im sick of only being able to run pre-2005 games on a pc bought in 2007! I was pretty suckered in when i bought it (pc world claiming it had 512mb graphics, only to find it meant 256 dedicated and on a guff card aswell!) oh such a foolish lad in my youth!

2. BG-0

BG-0

Your processor should be pretty okay with that. The 320 and 640 mb 8800 GTSs are the old ones that pretty much totally suck by today's standard. If you are getting one for 50 £, no problem, it's a cheap card and performs accordingly.
    Let's see.
    RAM + PSU ~100£
    Graphics, I would recommend this.. http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-179-SP&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=938 or maybe this http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-121-OK&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat= OR wait for Radeon HD 5670 to come out. It will be about a month, but most probably well worth the wait... Still, with the mentioned, your CPU is a huge bottleneck in games that rely a lot on the processor...

6/8 PCI-E power connector just means it's a 6+2 connector, 8-pin with a detachable 2-pin block so it works with a 6-pin card too.

Compatibility, you'll need to measure inside the case to see whether the card and PSU will fit. Nothing much else, as you've made sure your motherboard has the slot and you're getting a good PSU.

3. camy

camy Thread Starter

Brilliant mate, just the answers i was looking for. Thanks for the quick response aswell.

Checked out the graphics cards you recommended and they are pretty good but Im not planning on spending more than £50 or £60.

I know the BFG 8800 GTSs are old cards and pale against today's standards but my friend highly recommends the overclocked cards plus they are going very cheap on ebay these days.
    Im not looking to run any new games anyways as am i right to presume my processor wouldnt handle any new graphics cards?

The RAM you picked out isnt compatible with my system, i can only use PC2-5300 and 4200. Would like to get myself some Corsair memory but they dont do the above models. Crucial are fine for what im needing it for.

Iam curious about the graphics card potential with an older system like mine though, how much could my processor actually handle in terms of newer cards?
    Is it more about ram and power in my case?

I never thought of getting a better graphics card but if i knew my pc could handle it i would be more willing to invest in a new card and be able to play new games. In actual fact saving me £260 because i wouldnt then require an xbox 360! (fallout 3 being of particular interest to me!)

4. BG-0

BG-0

My processor already started to choke on the side of a 4850, let alone with the current GTX260. Your processor is more or less equivalent, so from personal experience I can say that you'd need a complete revamp for anything above 8800 GTS to really get to shine.
    If you really consider the dark side (consoles) an option, then that's probably the "better" option. Your PC sounds that much outdated that it's not really that smart to just upgrade it, you need a whole upgrade if you wanted more than just enough out of it. Fallout 3 will play pretty well at moderately high settings after the upgrade you're planning, but after that, pretty much no-go.

5. camy

camy Thread Starter

Thats what i thought, basically all i wanted to know thanks.

Was always aiming for the 8800 GTS so will stick to that.

Im much more a PC person, most of my favourite games arnt on any consoles so even if i did get one id still stay true to the force!

I would be very impressed if fallout 3 worked on my pc, but my real pet hate is jittery graphics. Im more looking to play Med 2, COD2, X3, FS2004 and possibly Oblivion. If i can play those bad boys smoothly ill be a happy chappy.

Thanks again for your help.

6. Compiler

Compiler

The 4670 is sometimes faster or a bit behind the 8800GTS 320/640... and the 4670s go for about £50~£65 - NEW.

Check out these performance benchmarks for GPU:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-graphics-charts-q3-2008/Crysis-v1.21,747.html

Then for CPU... got to do a bit of work... since your specific CPU isn't on most or any charts. The 915 & 920 are 2.8Ghz Dual core Pentium 4 class CPUs.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/cpu-charts-2008-q1-2008/Quake-IV,389.html
    Its a TAD (-3 fps) slower than a modern bottom end Pentium Dual Core E2140 @ 1.6Ghz (Its really a slow Core2duo with tiny cache). On this page, you can compare your D915/920 to the other CPUs in this 2008 benchmark.

Then, for Fallout3, we'll go here: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?b=2
    Scroll near the bottom to the Dual Core E2140, knock off a few frames to 83~86fps (your call)... and that is with a TOP end (as of today) $350 video card.

80+ fps... in 1680x1050... not bad. With an 8800gts or 4670... you should hit about 50~60fps. note: With todays $65 CPUs, the game would hit about 145+ fps... or $200+ CPUs, 200fps. ;)

It will be interesting to see how well MS handles DX11... if they want to make a statement about PC gaming, then HALO3 and Gears of War 2 needs to be released to PC.

7. camy

camy Thread Starter

Doubt id get that high a res with 60fps on a new game like Fallout 3, even with a 8800 GTS!
    Im just looking to play older games but with smoother gameplay, maybe 1024x960 in COD2 or half life 2 at 50-60fps is more realistic?

8. Compiler

Compiler

On my old old AMD64-3000 and a 2004 9800PRO, I was playing Half Life2 in 1600x1200 max details.

With my 4670 (on par with 8800gts) I typically play 2008 games in 1920x1200... and get about 40~60fps. Results will be lower with netburst, of course.

9. camy

camy Thread Starter

Well my current card is a nVidia GeForce 7500LE so you can imagine what I have had to put up with!

Thats exactly what im looking for though, 2007/2008 games, maybe not quite as high as that res but at least 1024 and workable fps.

Whats the catch with the 4670? Seems to be considerably cheaper than the BFG but only minor differences?

10. Compiler

Compiler

Not sure what you are refer to with "catch"?

The 8800gts was $300~400 new... 3 years ago.

The 4670 is a newer (1yr) card that is smaller and cheaper to make.

11. camy

camy Thread Starter

right thats it, someones going to have to make this decision for me!

BFG 8800 GTS OC 640mb

or

ATI Radeon HD 4670

I can also see there are lots of different makes of 4670 e.g ATI, HIS, any advice on which is better?

12. BG-0

BG-0

HIS IceQ Turbo 512 MB is a good one, others are very insignificantly different from each other. Just don't get a passively cooled one into your factory-built PC's case.
    I would recommend getting the 4670 of those two. If you can't find the IceQ Turbo relatively cheap anywhere, don't sweat it, just get an Asus or something else, just make sure it has at least 2 years warranty.

13. camy

camy Thread Starter

well funny you should mention that model.

Just feasted my eyes on the HIS IceQ4 512mb before i checked your post and its definitely the one for me. Can get it for about £80 so think thats worth the extra money compared to the 8800 GTSs. Wanted a newer card but something that would run on my system.

Youtube has been a godsend when checking out benchmarks for different games with different system setups and video cards. Highly recommend anyone to use that method if you have been as indecisive as me!

So final verdict:

OCZ Stealth 600w PSU

4GB PC2-5300 Crucial RAM

HIS Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3 IceQ4 TurboX Video Card

Total Price:

£190.00 approx.

14. Compiler

Compiler

Er... not quite... the HIS 4670 has the better and quieter cooler.

In the next week or so, the new 5700s & 5800s will be shipping. the 5750 should be about $100~80USD and equal or faster than the 4850 while being smaller and cooler.

I'd go with at least 800mhz memory for your computer.

15. BG-0

BG-0

If that was pointed at me, I did call the IceQ "the good one", and referred to others as pretty much a mass of cards, none being specifically good.

And yes, if you go above your 50£ budget, wait for the Radeon HD 5k series. 4670 is a good buy, but anything that's a "real gamer card" is not worth buying ATM.

667 is the max his mobo supports :p

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!