1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading my computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jordanllgg50, Dec 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jordanllgg50

jordanllgg50 Thread Starter

I have a Dell Dimension 4600 model from 2004. Is it possible to upgrade my Pentium 4 processor, or add some more memory to it? Because I only have about 2 GB of memory. And my computer is not all that fast. And my processor does not have hyper-threading support on it. Just so you know, that my socket number is 478, which uses a Prescott processor type. I have currently a 533 Mhz speed Pentium 4. But what I really would like to get would be the 800 Mhz Pentium 4 with hyper-threading support. And I was just wondering if I upgrade my processor to have hyper-threading, will it improve the speed a lot faster than the memory will? This is what I really want to know from you right here. So should I upgrade my Pentium 4 processor, or upgrade my memory to 4 GB of Ram? What would be the better option for me? Please just get back to me about this important info. So thank you very much! :confused: :(

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    2GB of RAM is more then plenty for Windows XP.

The system does support processors with HT and an 800Mhz FSB but it appears that only the models with 512KB L2 cache are supported according to the documentation: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4600/en/4600/sm/specs.htm

In any case even that might result in very minimal gains; its a terribly old system.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If your Dell Dimension 4600 desktop is the 533 MHz FSB model, it has an Intel Pentium 4 processor with one of these speeds:

2.26 GHz
    2.40 GHz
    2.53 GHz
    2.66 GHz
    2.80 GHz
    3.06 GHz

It also supports up to 4096 MB(4 GB) of RAM and uses these modules:

DDR PC2700(DDR-333)
    DDR PC3200(DDR-400)

--------------------------------------------------------

As Triple6 already said, 2048 MB(2 GB) of RAM is plenty for Windows XP.

If you're unhappy with the speed that desktop is running at, there's a number of issues that need to be addressed that may correct it. Adding more RAM isn't going to.

Go here and click the green "Download latest version" link to download and save HiJackThis 2.0.4.

After it's been downloaded and saved, close all open windows first, then double-click the saved file to install it.

Allow it to install in its default location - C:\Program Files.

After it's been installed, start it and then click "Do a system scan and save a log file".

When the scan is finished in less than 30 seconds, a log file will appear.

Save that log file.

Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the entire log file here.

Start HiJackThis, but don't run a scan.

Click on the "Open The Misc Tools Section" button.

Click on the "Open Uninstall Manager" button.

Click on the "Save List" button.

Save the "uninstall_list.txt" file somewhere.

It'll then open in Notepad.

Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the entire file here.

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

None of the Intel processors with a 533MHz. FSB used the Prescott core they were all Northwood.

If your machine only supports Northwood cored processors with a 533MHz. FSB and supports the 3.06Ghz. processor you could get HyperThreading by using that processor. The 3.06Ghz. processor was the only processor Intel built for 533 Mhz. boards that had HyperThreading.

5. jordanllgg50

jordanllgg50 Thread Starter

So do I really have a Prescott type Pentium 4, or do I really have a Northwood Pentium 4? Because I am not sure on what I really have here. So I downloaded Cpu-z, and I clicked on the Cpu tab in Cpu-z. And it said there that my Pentium 4 type was a Prescott. But I am not sure about this, because maybe I have a Northwood type. Maybe what I am thinking is that it is not reading out correctly or something, that could be the case. And also, I downloaded another Pc specs program, called Everest. Now this is a much better program in detail, because it gives me more detail on what stuff I have in my computer. So I went to my Cpu section in Everest, and it said there also that my Pentium 4 type was a Prescott.

So what I am thinking is that maybe it is a Prescott, and not a Northwood. But when someone got back to me before, they told me that they do not make any Prescott Pentium 4's anymore. Like they said it is not around anymore. But they said I can buy a 3.06 Ghz. 800 Fsb Pentium 4, and then my Dell Dimension 4600 will have hyper-threading on it. And they also told me that specific Pentium 4 right there was the only one that had hyper-threading for my Dell Dimension 4600. And my Dell Dimension 4600 is from 2004. But that's all right, it still works good, but it is a little bit laggy for some applications. And they also told me, that 2 GB of Ram is plenty to run Windows XP for sure.

And I also wanted to buy 2 more sticks of 1 GB memory, but they said it wouldn't make a difference in speed. Oh well. But I really don't care about the memory, as much as the processor right now. Well anyway, so please get back to me as soon as you can. And I would like to know if my Pentium 4 is either a Northwood, or a Prescott. Because when I upgrade my Cpu, I don't want to ruin my newer processor or even damage my motherboard, because that won't be good at all. So that's all I have to say right there. So please get back to me soon with some helpful suggestions. Thank you very much! :confused: :(

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I wouldn't spend money upgrading parts. Memory alone will cost $60. If you managed to find a processor for $20-$50, that's still more than the whole system is worth. Take the $100 and put it toward a new system.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    800Mhz FSB processors are supported on the system including certain Prescott processors.

If you look through the BIOS updates, many of them list CPU microcode updates, one specifically mentions including support for a 3.2Ghz Pentium 4, and one adds support for larger CPU caches.

You'd need the latest A12 BIOS update to get all those updates/fixes.

This here would indicate the Dell has tested at least these models of processors with the 4600: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/p/19290354/19538340.aspx#19538340

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  9. win2kpro

win2kpro

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032202

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice