1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading My Computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kurosuke, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kurosuke

kurosuke Thread Starter

Hi I am wondering if its possible to upgrade my current PC (its about 3-4 years old now probably bought from PC world :p)

I own a Packard Bell iXtreme J8510
    Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT
    RAM: 2 x 1GB DDR2
    HardDrive: 290 GB
    I will put the full spec's when i get home currently working and doing this on my laptop :) :eek:

Anyways' i was wondering if its possible to upgrade my Video Card on this Packard Bell model and if so what type of Video card is compatible for it? I know i can add about 6GB more for my RAM (it has a maximum of 8GB for the RAM) But im not sure about the Video/Graphics Card and im thinking if i try to add a new and stronger video card i might need to add a stronger Power supply too.

I will try to put more info regarding the motherboard etc. It's just that my PC doesn't seem to work fluently in my new software's i bought recently, mainly Photoshop CS5 and Corel Painter 12. Totally Slow's down when I open either CS5 or Painter 12 together with another software im using Manga Studio EX. It literally Slow's down when i start to add even more colors, textures etc..

Another reason is in gaming as well, Maximum output in a certain game and from 60+ fps (in normal graphics output) the fps crashes down to 10-15 fps. Even though my specification is well above the recommended specification on that certain Game, my PC is brought down to its knees :/:eek:

But it seems my current spec ive given won't suffice, ill update this later with the TSG SysInfo :eek:

Just looking for some advice or info about upgrading my old 3-5 year old model ^^
    Through Graphics card and Ram (i might try and do a processor upgrade to if its possible even the motherboard xD) But ye hehe Just need some info.

Help is Appreciated greatly, thank you in Advance and Happy Holidays :).

well this is the full info syst info given

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2045 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 297045 MB, Free - 18802 MB;
    Motherboard: Packard Bell BV, CLR0
    Antivirus: Norton 360, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

Looking at the Mother Board being Packard Bell BV CLR0 isn't a good sign for Video Card Compatibility :/

2. gberger

gberger

More information about your system is really needed, but I think you are going to find that if you are having slowness with CS5 the bottleneck is more likely to be your CPU. More RAM will not make that much of a difference, and a 32bit OS can't address more than 3GB of RAM in any case. Considering the whole picture a new PC would likely be the most economical upgrade. Careful shopping can get you an I3 or I5 desktop with Windows 7 64-bit and 4GB of ram for around 500.00 and it would be a great deal faster than your current system.

3. kurosuke

kurosuke Thread Starter

Well just checked my PC now the info it gave was

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2045 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 297045 MB, Free - 18802 MB;
    Motherboard: Packard Bell BV, CLR0
    Antivirus: Norton 360, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

It has a maximum 8GB for RAM, but wondering if there's an existing stronger video card compatible with it.
    But i guess you might be right on just getting a new one or assembling my own since i will probably need to changed the power supply as well if i change my video card and do some more upgrading if more problems are gonna be discovered
    I checked some components already when assembled should give me 3.50 GHz with a i7 processor, windows 7 64bit, with 4GB RAM with a decent nvidia video card just about 500 - 550 total cost, the the price changer really is the video card, i asked someone in my company and he kept mentioning having a latest video card im not really sure but when i checked the latest nvidia video card it cost like 400+ each. Basically causing the 500-550 to skyrocket to 950 xD

But well, anyone who got info on Video card compatible with the Packard bell Motherboard i appreciate if you share any ideas :p just taking gonna look for options first, if nothing comes up ill probably just gonna make my own, those branded desktop system's are too expensive. ty ttyl

4. gberger

gberger

RAM - again, a 32-bit operating system can't use more than 3GB of RAM, anything over that is money out the window.
    Video card: unless you are playing the latest and most hardware-intensive games or doing CAD you DO NOT need a 400.00 video card - something int he 75-125 dollar range would be fine.
    Open your case and check the wattage on the PSU, that will give you an idea of whether or not you'd need to upgrade it but I'm betting you will need a new one.
    After that it's up to you, but going for the I7 system with a 64-bit OS will make the biggest difference. I use CS3 extensively and even with an old video card taken from my previous machine the performance difference is tremendous.

5. kurosuke

kurosuke Thread Starter

ye i already noted what you said first regarding the 32 bit only utilizing 3GB ram maximum xP .. in my second post, I was asking for other people who might have a Packard Bell BV CLR0 if they can add more ideas.

But anyways you help a lot answering my questions :p

Yes, i checked it if i upgrade the video graphics card i will need a stronger PSU... but its crazy how the gap between the price of the latest nvidia video card is huge compared to AMD Radeon latest video cards..

What Video Card are you using anyways? you are using an i7 processor? The main problem really is when i start to have multiple software open with alot of digital editing going on, the whole system slow's down, or if you go and do something like eating and you live software's on stand by with your project like CS5, blender, Painter 12... when you come back it becomes so slow in loading, and in changes etc..

I think ill make my own instead with the i7 and a 64 bit OS and a latest maybe £200-£300 video card or just gonna re use my 8500 GT. I think ill look for a great deal with a latest nvidia with a good Christmas discount in London.

But wow.. i just find it funny how Packard Bell built this stock PC then with components that will not fit for future upgrades (although i can't blame them i bought this long ago xP)...

I guess this is the end for me buying ready made PC's, Gonna go buy components now, better now since its cheap xP

If you got more ideas regarding good Mother Boards id appreciate any good suggestions :p

The pain is when i change my video card into a stronger one = even a bigger psu wattage which is even more expensive..

But, yeah thanks alot for the info, thats alot of things in my mind justified :p

Im thinking this set up:

Intel Core i7 Six Core Processor Extreme i7-3960X (3.3GHz) 15MB Cache

ASUS RAMPAGE IV EXTREME: INTEL X79, SOCKET 2011, R.O.G

4GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz X.M.P(2 x 2GB KIT)

2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 - 2 DVI,HDMI,VGA - 3D Vision Ready <--- only needed 450W with my old video card this one needs 600 with the 20% allowance... saves me about £59 even worst with the VAT being 20% lol.

500GB SATA-II 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 16MB CACHE (7,200rpm)

24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM

600W Quiet 80 PLUS Quad Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan

INTEL CERTIFIED LIQUID CPU COOLER FOR SOCKET LG2011

If you any good specifications that are cheaper but would be up to date in terms of softwares and games id appreciate to hear them :p i don't mind the expensive one's as well... So that it will take longer before i need to change some things.

6. gberger

gberger

I think you would notice an improvement in performance with the system you are proposing. But that's just a guess.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032369

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice