1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

upgrading my computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cjreed64, Apr 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cjreed64

cjreed64 Thread Starter

The following are my computer specs:
    • Processor- Intel 486 DX4 100 mhz
    • RAM- 32 mb FPM (72 pin SIMM)
    • MotherBoard- Genoa Socket 3 w/ 256k cache
    • Video Card- Trident 1 mb svga
    • Hard Drive 1- Conner 426 mb
    • Hard Drive 2- Seagate 850 mb
    • CD-ROM- Acer 50x
    • Sound Card- Creative Labs Sound Blaster 16
    • Expansion Slots- 5 ISA (3 open), 3 ISA/VESA (1 open)
    I am planning on upgrading as much as I can. I got this computer (parts and put it together myself) for around $150. I know I am going to upgrade to a 2mb video card. My questions are: What is the fastest processor you can have in a Socket3 mobo? (I've heard 133mhz) Would it help speed alot to upgrade to 64mb RAM if the processor is so slow? Is there any benefits to converting to FAT32 on such small hard drives? (I am using FAT) Thanks a ton!!

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi CJ, I can't remember if you said before in your other posts (too lazy to search), what version of windows are you running?

3. cjreed64

cjreed64 Thread Starter

That is another thing. I am not sure if I can use FAT32 with Windows 95 anyway. I am running Windows 95. Any answers for the other questions?? Thanks!!

4. ~Candy~

FAT32 is only available with win95b and forward.

I had a 486 DX2-66 that I put an overdrive on, didn't notice any difference at all (maybe just me). I would vote for the additional ram, as you can pick it up for almost free....actually, I'll be in Las Vegas 4/26-5/10, I've got some extra chips laying around that I'll probably never use (not even here in Mexico, they want faster and newer)....shoot me an e-mail with your address and I'll mail you one!

5. cjreed64

cjreed64 Thread Starter

Are you sure? I can pay you. How many megabytes are they? Thanks!! So you don't think I would notice much difference between 100mhz and 133mhz?

6. ~Candy~

You can wait for some of the heavyweights to weigh in on the 100 to 133 issue (my vote is you'll never see it, but I could be wrong!)

What is your present layout on your 32mb of ram now? Two 16's? or Four 8's?

And yes, I'm sure, and no, you can't pay me.......

I have multiple 16's and one 8.

7. cjreed64

cjreed64 Thread Starter

I have one 32mb 72pin FPM SIMM in bank 1 (I have banks 0-3). I don't know too much about memory (just what kind it is and how to put it in). It doesn't matter if I fill up all the banks because I will only upgrade once. I like meeting nice people like you in here because our local computer guy only cares about making money. (he wanted to charge $200 for assembly) That is why I had my dad get me computer parts from eBay for me to put together. (stupid 18-year age rule) ;) At least I learned a lot!!

Oh yeah, and I won't take more than 32mb from you without paying! :)

<marquee>Thanks so much!!!!!</marquee>

[Edited by cjreed64 on 04-13-2001 at 02:59 PM]

8. brianF

brianF

I agree with AcaCandy about the processor, you will never notice the difference. K now maybe a heavy weight will reply :)
    The additional ram will help more than anything at this point.

9. ~Candy~

Thanks, heavyweight :D

The memory goes in relatively easily, they are Kingston chips, 72 pin, you tilt it a bit, line it up in the socket, and then gently level it out to match the other one that's in there already, it should click right into place.

Make sure you touch something metal, like the case, so you don't zap anything while installing it....also a good idea to unplug your computer from the wall as well as the monitor before playing around inside.

I don't think it matters what order they are placed in, but I'm sure someone will set us straight if it does...on the older machines, I have just plopped them where ever the next empty slot was......

Well then, all I'm waiting for is the email with the address and you've got 2 - 16's on the way when I hit Vegas. ;)

10. cjreed64

cjreed64 Thread Starter

I sent the email. Thanks again!!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!