1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading my computer.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by talon756, Oct 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. talon756

talon756 Thread Starter

Hello everyone, I've become quite interested in upgrading my old box. Currently I have a Micro-Star mobo, dont know the model number offhand, but will be able to soon with some help. Anyway, I mainly want to upgrade my processor and video card. Currently I have a AMD Sempron(tm) 2500+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.7GHz processor, and a RADEON 9250 gfx card (agp). I would like to know some quality options for a tight budget (100$ or less) if possible.
    Cheers,
    talon756

2. Sponsor

3. prunejuice

prunejuice

What is it that your computer is lacking, that you feel you need to upgrade for?

4. Compiler

Compiler

Upgrading your box for what? Yes computers feel/get slow with age. Unlike the OLD days when a 1~8Mhz computer would easily last you 5+ years.

For $100... you're not going to get much. Find a used AMD XP 3000 for $5 or free will add about 10% improvement. By todays standards, it wouldn't be noticed. If you're looking to play modern games... not possible. If you're looking to play games made 2004 and earlier, then a $65~90 video card (new) will help or a used 9800Pro~6600GT AGP cards (used for $10~40) maybe worth while.

If you want noticable improvements in computing power for video, large data files and gaming. You'd have to replace pretty much every single part of your computer. Execpt for the mouse, keyboard and optical drive.

Things that have changed since the days of AMD-XP/32 CPUs.
    - 3 socket types
    - 2 Video standards (AGP > PCIe1.0 > PCIe2.0)
    - Hard drive interface IDE-PATA > SATA
    - CPU performance.
    - Memory DDR > DDR2 > DDR3
    - PSUs from ATX1.0 --> ATI 2.x

Here is a chart: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?b=43#notes_44
    Your system performance would be between the last two CPUs.

A $65 AMD X2 250 would be about 3-4x faster.
    You can buy a mobo, CPU, RAM and PSU for about $300.

5. talon756

talon756 Thread Starter

o_O thanks for replies, havent been able to post in a while. Anyways, yeah I was looking to replace a couple parts (processor, GFX card) but i think im good everywhere else. Mobo is a bit lacking though. Problem solved. Thanks.

6. Compiler

Compiler

Replace a few parts? Again, if its an office PC... then there is no need to replace the video card. Unless the CPU is free or near free... its not worth the hassle. Doing a clean install of XP and having at least 1GB of RAM should make it usable and faster.

The Socket A of your motherboard design has been discontinued about 3-4 sockets ago. (5 years)

Replacing the mobo for something new - means buying new memory too. Also your OLD PSU is not compatible with todays systems.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/871927

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice