1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading my CPU and Mobo, any suggestions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Soiled, Jul 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Soiled

Soiled Thread Starter

Currently I have a ASUS A7V8X-X mobo with an Athlon 2800+ chip on it, but have been having some quirky problems.

My video card wouldn't work at all (9700pro), then I fixed the vid card problem, but it still boots funny when its cold (no display untill windows loads then requires a reboot in order to play games, like it needs to be warmed up).

new mobo drivers got the card working, but the section on ATI's website for the cold boot problem provides no solution.

I get strange shutdowns and restarts somtimes aswell, some times it will just reboot while your doing something, and other times when i click shutdown it will reboot for no reason while your doing somthing, and I've had to reformat (winXP home) twice because it will startup and say the OS on D: has a messed up config, when the OS is on C:

I have a felling this all be leading back to a strange compatiblity problem between the mobo and my attached hardware.

So, I am gonna get the computer guy to switch out my ASUS board and 2800+ for an intel based mobo and a 3ghz chip...

What should I get? i would like a 3ghz intel chip and a very stable Mobo, but don't really know what to look for when it comes to stablility.

I would love the bigger CPU, it would really help with all the programs i run, and would keep from having to upgrade for a while.

thanx (y)

2. norton850

norton850

Although a new MB and CPU might solve your problem and it's always fun to buy new things, I would wait and see if some of the very knowledgeable members of this forum (not me!) might be able to help you solve it. Why do you think that you have a compatablility problem since your present MB and CPU are fairly "standard".

3. brite750

brite750

Use aida32 or something to post complete system specs. As far as compatibility goes, if your having problems, so would a kgillion other people. Asus boards are one of the best, but you certainly could have gotten a bad one. Your problem almost sounds like a bad psu or ram or something like that.

4. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Yeah, go for it. Buy a new CPU and board. Get rid of that AMD junk. Uhhhh, PM me and I'll give you an address to get rid of the AMD and Asus stuff. I wouldn't want you to pollute the earth with that crap. ;)
    I would really do what Brite said, I see no reason to get rid of your present config.

5. Soiled

Soiled Thread Starter

The reason i think its a Mobo problem, is cause the mobo Im using needed to be patched to use my ATI 9700pro and even after i got it working theres still the strange 'blank screen on cold boot' issue that there seems to be no solution for.

I also recently upgraded and figured if i take it back to the store and tell the guy i wanna switch my hardware for intel stuff, he should treat me pretty fair seeing how i just droped over a grand just a few months ago and never was 100% satisfied.

however, you mention it could be a PSU problem for these random restarts? even then a new PSU still wouldnt fix the 'cold boot' vid card problem would it?

6. brite750

brite750

You definately are having some funny problems, that most people aren't having with the same equipment, you could be right about mobo. The only way sometimes to track down HW issues is to run system on minimal setup, psu/mobo/cpu/1 stick of ram/vid card maybe even run mobo out of the case, if your not comfrotable with doing this stuff then, a whole new pc works for me.

7. Soiled

Soiled Thread Starter

how would running a minimal setup reveal what could be causing these problems?

Random restarts happen, in random spots, sometimes I'll just be reading a webpage, sitting back with my arms crossed and it will just restart, other times im working on stuff (art/webpages etc.)

i hope a mobo change will work, and if that doesnt I guess a new PSU would be a good bet?

Yet, its not that old at all, its a 460watter from Enermax that i bought only about a year ago.

8. norton850

norton850

Random problems can be extremely difficult to sort out and sometimes aren't worth the effort. A new MB, CPU and I assume RAM eliminates three potential offenders. If the problem continues then you can try the PSU. Have fun.

9. Soiled

Soiled Thread Starter

well, i'm sure a new mobo will definatly fix my video card quirks on startup, and Im hoping thats linked the restarts in some way.

the PSU is new, so that will be the last thing i worry about right now, also a 3ghz pentium would be very nice, seeing how doom3 is out on friday.

:D:D

10. Soiled

Soiled Thread Starter

well apparently theres a conflict with my video hardware.

the system restarted and informed me that "the system has recovered from a serious error" and when i clicked through the links the microsoft website informed me it was caused by my video card.

I really hope the card isnt damaged, however I've had this card for about 2 years or so now (with no probs on the previous hardware setup), and only since I purchased the new mobo have i been getting funky restarts.

I hope if somthing is going to be screwed its the mobo and not my 9700pro, that cards all i need, and all i will ever need, so i hope i dont need a new 1.

But... I'm worried about all these strange things that've been happening over the past few months. Could I have hurt my video card? is it even possible to hurt it?

(i also turned off all the acceleration for the card in the advanced options and disabled 'write combining' like the microsoft website suggested i do... and yes all the vid card/mobo/etc drivers where upto date)

:( :( :(

Video Card Status: Off :(

11. norton850

norton850

I hate those serious error messages! Sure it's possible that there is a hardware problem with your video card, but those serious error messages are often related to software issues. As pointed out earlier in this thread your CPU and MB are pretty compatible with most hardware including your video card. Perhaps it's time to list what else you've got in there.

12. Soiled

Soiled Thread Starter

not much really, i just had to reformat because it restarted one day and said D: was where my OS was and if i wanted to repair it, and my OS is on C: so i just started over from scratch.

how would i 'list what else i've got in here?'

13. norton850

norton850

Like Brite did in his reply above.

14. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Send me the stuff. I'll bench it for you.

15. brite750

brite750

It would take awhile to explain, but say you run it as described above and nothing happens, it runs fine, does not restart or anything, so maybe you connect the hdd, when it comes up to windows it dies, now you have a clue that it has something to do with your hdd or IDE connection cable or something. This can be very time consuming it's also not for people who don't have alot of spare working pc parts lying around. In your case say it restarts it self even with no hdd, so now maybe you pull the grafix card and run it and it runs with not probs that might point you to your card being the culprit.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!