1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

upgrading my cpu

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by championz, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. championz

championz Thread Starter

Hello and thanks for looking,
    I have recently had my graphics and mobo replace since they were broken, I now have a bfg 280 OC and a Asus Striker II Extreme, and the processor is Intel E6850 but I want to upgrade my processor so I can use it in my other computer, I mostly play high end games, but im clueless when it come to processors, so if I had £300 to spend what new processor should i get?
    thanks again

2. BG-0

BG-0

3. championz

championz Thread Starter

thanks, im currently using some ram I got at a discount at work "2GB OCZ DDR3 PC3-16000 2000MHz Platinum (9-9-9) Dual Channel kit" I was told by a co-worker that it is the best ram for my set up, but someone else said to me that it was the wrong ram for me, so basically im confused, 1. is this ram the best correct set I can get for this setup, 2. will it still be compatible if I get the Q9550? Sorry if it’s a very knob question but im still learning lol and breaking everything, thanks again

4. mothergoose729

mothergoose729

That is ddr3 memory, so you have to make sure that your motherboard supports it. If it is a choice between getting 2 gb of DDR3 vs four or more gigabytes of DDR2 you will notice a much greater increase in performance with the extra RAM. 64bit operating system are about 11% faster then 32 bit versions (vista) and they run very well on 4gigs of RAM on my system.

5. Compiler

Compiler

Its DDR3, yes... so it should be compatible. But here's the thing... anything over 1333Mhz is OC. The other higher bus-speeds is to allow more OCing ability.

Sad thing thou... the difference in performance in the REAL WORLD between DDR2 1066Mhz and DDR3 2000 is about 1%. Yet the price difference is $60 for DDR2 vs $180 for the DDR3 at those speeds. ;)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757516

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice