1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading my graphics card - will it work with my PC?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by doooomguy, Oct 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. doooomguy

doooomguy Thread Starter

Hey, I am probably going to be buying a GTX 660 to replace my old AMD 6670, but I'm not sure if it will run/fit in my computer.

It is an ADVENT DT2410.

The specs are (if you need more then ask and I'll try and post them):

Windows 8
    Intel Core i5-3330
    8GB RAM
    450W PSU
    It can handle an AMD 6670, so it has at least PCI Express, with a x16 lane graphics slot (don't know what that means)
    I will add a picture of the inside soon

Here is the amd 6670 website: http://www.amd.com/uk/products/desk...6670/pages/amd-radeon-hd-6670-overview.aspx#3

And here is the GTX 660 website: http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-660/specifications

If you could tell me if my computer meets the requirements then that would be great.

EDIT: I also heard it might not work due to Windows 8 having UEFI which some cards don't support.

2. leettoothpaste

leettoothpaste

From what you've listed here: your gtx 660 should work in your rig. I'm not sure about the whole windows 8 things; however i am currently running two 660s with a 1000w power supply and they work great. If i were you, i would simply consider two things:

1. Your power supply is 450w. The minimum PSU for a GTX 660 is a 450W. Just to be on the safe side, i would consider upgrading your PSU. Otherwise look for a graphics card that requires a 400W PSU so that you don't come close to not having enough power for your rig.

2. The GTX 660 is a huge card. The width of the card is dual slot, meaning it takes up two PSI slots. Make sure your case has enough room for such a bulky graphics card.

Hope this helps!

3. dai

dai

4. doooomguy

doooomguy Thread Starter

5. dai

dai

6. doooomguy

doooomguy Thread Starter

7. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    No it is NOT built for gaming. Corsair makes GOOD QUALITY UNITS, except for the CX/Builders Series units. THey use cheper components and are not recommended for a gaming rig.

The PSU linked by DAI above is an excellent gaming unit. 750W is a great PSU. When you are gaming you always want a good bit of extra juice. Esp if you plan on Overclocking the GPU, RAM, CPU...etc.

8. dai

dai

with corsair only models

tx.hx.ax.axi.rm

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!