1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading my HP dv6 Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dpac90, Jan 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dpac90

dpac90 Thread Starter

Okay, first of all i've read many threads in this forum and others saying it is not possible to make groundbreaking changes (or any changes at all) to laptops as it is possible with desktops. I have an HP dv6 1105ee laptop (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01706655&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&lc=en&dlc=ru&cc=ru〈=ru&product=3925199) and the most primary usage turned out to be Gaming after all. :rolleyes:

I play games like Assassin's Creed, Dirt 2, GTA IV... Though they are "playable", i would like to play them on better graphic settings. Dirt 2 looks awfully nice and runs quite smoothly with medium settings on 1280 x 720 resolution though.

The problem i'm facing is with GTA IV. I am aware it is a demanding game. But my laptop seems to struggle to handle it even at 800 x 480 (the min) resolution. The frames stutter when there is a lot to display in the environment even at this resolution. I tried playing around with other settings as well but that just makes the game look worse (it already is bad with the low resolution). I've attached some screenshots of how the game looks.

My system is pretty clean with no unnecessary bloatwares. And i use Game Booster too (http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html).

Is it possible for me to upgrade my laptop's specs? If so, what would be the most feasible way to upgrade (considering playing games like GTA IV)? Would upgrading the RAM make a big difference? Can i upgrade / is it feasible to upgrade my processor or graphic card?

Attached Files:

• gta.jpg
      gta.jpg
      File size:
      70.8 KB
      Views:
    • gta1.jpg
      gta1.jpg
      File size:
      60.2 KB
      Views:
    • gta2.jpg
      gta2.jpg
      File size:
      14.8 KB
      Views:
    • gta3.jpg
      gta3.jpg
      File size:
      55.3 KB
      Views:
    • gta4.jpg
      gta4.jpg
      File size:
      57.5 KB
      Views:
  2. dpac90

dpac90 Thread Starter

3. sickcars

sickcars

If you have 3GB of ram now upgrading to 4gb or more wont make much of a difference. (maybe a little) but since your running a 32bit Operating system windows wont be able to see over 4GB of ram maybe even only 3.5GB.

So my suggestion would be to either run WinXP or Win7 and get rid of Vista which has takes higher resources then the other 2 operating system. Also making sure your Fans/heatsinks are clean will help keep the laptop running cool so your video card wont overheat and keep the FPS higher. You could also update your video card drivers which may help slightly.

But other then that there is not anything you can upgrade on a laptop that would give you the boost you are looking for. This is why if your a gamer you need a good custom built Desktop PC not a laptop.

4. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

5. dpac90

dpac90 Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for ur time guys. Really appreciate it. Well i got a few more questions though. Hope u can answer them.

Is it possible to upgrade from DDR2 RAM to DDR3? If possible will it make a noticable difference?

So will it make a big difference in FPS if i shift to a 64-bit Win 7 and also upgrade my RAM to 4GB?

My laptop normally stays in the range of 45 to 50 degrees C without much load. And around 60 to 75 degrees C while gaming. Is that high?

Well, that's what i always wait for from the ATI website. But they don't seem to give any sort of importance to Mobility Radeon cards. No video card updates have been released for my ATI Mobility HD 4530 since i purchased this laptop! (June last year)

Those links were very informative bro. Thanks a lot for ur time (y)

6. sickcars

sickcars

Hello,

No you cannot go from DDR2 ----> DDR3 since your laptop motherboard would have to support it which it does not.

You probably wont see a huge difference in FPS going from Vista to Win7 64bit, you May see a slight difference since the operating system will be using less resources when compared to Vista. Again if you upgrade the ram you may see a Slight difference but not much if anything since your already running 3gb which is a good amount.

For a laptop I'm not to sure it may be normal but If I were you I would get a can of compressed air either way and spray the fan area to remove any dirt/dust thats there. Also if you really know what your doing & have easy access to the fan/heatsink you could totally remove the fan & heatsink remove the old thermal paste apply some new Arctic Silver 5 and put everything back together. But some laptops require you to rip apart the whole laptop if thats the case its not worth the trouble.

Well if there are no drivers from ATI for that long I guess they wont be upgrading it at all.

7. dpac90

dpac90 Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for ur opinions on this issue. I could give it a try by using the links dlsayremn provided here. I prefer not to rip open my laptop though, but if it is worth a better gaming performance i might as well do it. Will it give me the boost i'm looking for?

8. sickcars

sickcars

Unless its very dirty you will not see much of a difference if any from making sure its clean. its more of a Preventative measure then anything else. Unless you can flip over the laptop and remove a cover to get access to the fan area then I dont suggest you rip the laptop apart to get at it. Just get a can of compressed air and blow the dust/dirt out.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/893997

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice