1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading My Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jrdbrown524, Oct 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jrdbrown524

jrdbrown524 Thread Starter

I have a Westinghouse laptop, and I want to upgrade the cpu, hard-drive and cd/dvd burner. My question is can I upgrade the CPU, I've already upgraded the memory?

2. pinntech

pinntech

Hi and welcome!

Without knowing your current specifications, I would say the following:

By the time you purchase a new CPU, hard drive and cd/dvd burner and do all of the work involved in it; it would most likely be cheaper to purchase a newer one.

Most laptops can be upgraded, but it’s usually not worth upgrading them unless you are just adding memory and maybe a new hard drive (bigger one). After that the work involved, which for CPU change would most likely be completely disassembling the laptop, it is just not worth it.

Give me the make and model number on your laptop and I’ll see if I can find some information on it!

Thanks!

Shane

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Laptops don't have easily interchangeable parts like desktops. To upgrade the optical drive, there has to be a compatible one available. Have you done any searching to see if there is one? You wouldn't be able to upgrade the processor enough to really make it worth the money. It could easily overheat.

A new larger, hard drive might be a reasonable upgrade depending on what model the computer is.

4. jrdbrown524

Westinghouse model NB-44w2 laptop
    Intel Celeron-M CPU 410 @1.46 GHz - I want to use a dual processor or better speed
    Ram is at 1.5 GB
    Phillips DVD +-RW SDVD8820 DVD/CD ROM Drive
    WDC WD600BEAS-00kZTO Harddisk drive

I hav done some research, just want to confirm my findings to ensure that i am on the right path.

I like to come close as possible to maxing this system out.

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I assume you mean "dual core", and you can't upgrade the laptop to a dual core processor. It doesn't support it. There's really nothing you can do to "max it out" short of upgrading the memory and hard drive.

6. jrdbrown524

I was a little confused , because there are several other users who has stated that they upgraded their processors and mzed out the system.
    And yes I meant dual core, so what's a good system to buy. I know dual cores are in for now and I'm looking at a Toshiba with AMD processor for myself and a MAC for my wife.
    Thanks.

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You have a laptop. Your upgrade options are limited. The system is optimized for cooling a specific processor. If you could upgrade it, it wouldn't be to a significantly higher clock speed. You can't upgrade from a Celeron to a dual core on the same motherboard. The architecture is different.

If you want to buy a new laptop with a dual core processor, provide more information such as your budget, what you plan to use it for, what specifications are important to you (battery life, screen size, weight, and no you can't have them all).

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/633974

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice