1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading my old PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Flemwad, Feb 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Flemwad

Flemwad Thread Starter

Hey guys,

I'm a gamer and I just bought Battlefield Bad Company 2, and I've rarely had problems running high-end games. But apparently this game for the PC is VERY processor dependent and as you'll see I don't have the best processor/motherboard combo. I'm looking to upgrade both and I'd like any insight on what would be a good processor/motherboard purchase to go with my current specs:

System Model: HP Pavilion 061 d4100e
    Mother Board: ASUSTek Amberine 1.03 (ew)
    Processor: 2.20 Ghz AMD Athalon 64 Single core 3400+ (ew)
    RAM: 2GB of DDR PC3200
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT.

I've been looking on newegg for new motherboard/processor combos and I'm not entirely sure whether or not I'll need to upgrade my RAM as well. And also I'm not sure if I could DEAL with my motherboard and just upgrade my processor to save some cash but from what I hear my motherboard might be capped at 4000+. Any website references that would help with compatibility issues or just a direct recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tyler

2. gberger

gberger

Once you start talking about replacing the MB, CPU, and memory you could be approaching the cost of a whole new tower, granted a lower-end one but still big step up from what you have. Just be sure you are not being penny-wise/pound foolish - check out whats available in pre-built or build-to-order. You can always use your graphics card in a new tower and upgrade later if you feel it's necessary. I'm guessing it would be adequate.

3. sickcars

sickcars

I personally suggest you dont even bother upgrading that computer. Reason is because its a Pre-built systems like to use custom built parts like special PSU's that wont work on regular motherboards and so on.

The issue I see with your current comp is the case/mb seems to be smaller size in which case if you try to put in a regular sized motherboard in there it wont fit. Not only that but pre-built computers tend to not have very good cooling so overheating could not be a potential problem.

Things like this is why I suggest you just build a new computer. Take the Video card/cd-roms/HardDrive etc move to a new computer and you will be better off in the long run.

4. Flemwad

Flemwad Thread Starter

So you're saying that a newer motherboard might not even fit in my current tower? I was looking at a combo on new egg and it's only 9.6" x 8". I was planning on keeping my ROM, Hard drive, and GPHX, but I've pretty much accepted the fact I'll be buying a new motherboard/cpu and RAM (DDR2 or 3) to go with it.

5. sickcars

sickcars

It may not, depends on the size of your current case and the size of the motherboard. If you look on the manufacture website you should be able to find out more info about your current computer. But even if it does fit you also have to look into the new cooling requirements depending on the mb/cpu you pick. You want the best cooling possible and usually manufactures like HP overlook this feature when building computers because they WANT your computer to fail sooner rather then later so you will come in for repairs or buy a new one etc.

Its all part of the biz its actually pretty sick they no longer make Good long lasting quality parts. The only way to get a high quality computer is to Custom build it and Pay a bit more for the quality parts but most people dont know any better and think, why am I going to pay an extra $500 for example for a computer when I can get one cheaper?

6. Compiler

Compiler

Your computer is quite old (by todays standards). Short version: You're better off selling the computer and use that money towards a new computer. Keep the 9800GT. Issues:

PSU is old, will not work on new boards.
    So you need: new CPU, RAM, motherboard, PSU and unlike several years ago - PATA is almost completely dead and AMD only has 1 PATA connector.... so you're looking at replacing the HD at least. The case connectors to the mobo are not standard, so you'll have to map out which cable go to where, splice and wire them correctly to the new motherboard... er, so replace the case. Your Windows license is tied to your HP hardware, it will NOT work on non-HP hardware... so $100 for Windows7...

You should be able to sell your old HP for $125~150 (not the video card). Use that money to buy a new 500GB HD ($50) and DVD Burner ($30).

Rough prices from newegg: www.newegg.com

$ 90 - AMD X2 550 BE CPU - overclockable and easy to make into a quad core. (3.1Ghz default - runs 3.4 easy)
    $ 90 - 4GB of DDR3 RAM 1066~1333. (2x2)
    $ 90 - Gigabyte G785 mobo (I use these) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...397&cm_re=gigabyte_amd-_-13-128-397-_-Product
    $ 55 - 500GB HD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...95&cm_re=500GB_seagate-_-22-148-395-_-Product
    $ 25 - DVD Burner (Samsung Sony, LG) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ark=False&ActiveSearchResult=True&Order=PRICE
    $ 70 - 500watt PSU ($80 corsair 650w after rebate) - I looked at Newegg... Corsair is the best deal for the quality.
    $100 - Windows 7 Home 32bit
    $ 60 - Antec 300 case (with or without lights) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...Order=BESTMATCH&Description=Antec+300&x=0&y=0
    $ 50 - mouse and keyboard
    ========================
    $630 = Total ($500 after you sell your old computer)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!