1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading My Processor and Graphics Card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HiddenNexus, Mar 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HiddenNexus

HiddenNexus Thread Starter

Hi, and welcome to my first post!

I want to upgrade my processor and graphics card but I am not sure which will be the best to purchase, please comment below with your opinion and advice.

I currently have:
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 240 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 6 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2048Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4200, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 293454 MB, Free - 167185 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 04GJJT

I just want a more powerful/faster PC with better graphics sufficient enough to play games like Skyrim and Starcraft II smoothly but nothing to overboard, I will also be upgrading my ram to 8gb

Thanks!
    HiddenNexus

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It's a Dell, always a bad idea to try to upgrade to name brand system; they are not upgrade friendly. You are better off selling your Dell as is and buying or building a custom gaming system.

To upgrade the graphics cards in this system you'd need a new power supply too. So a new power supply, graphics card, memory, and processor(if supported by Dell). The model of the Dell system would be useful though.

3. HiddenNexus

It is a Dell Inspirion 570, sadly selling it is not possible currently so im stuck with it.

4. helpful

helpful

look at the side of the power supply on the the sticker, how many combined amps are on the 12v rail(s)?

Also what pin connectors do you have for your power supply? Do you have two 6 pin connectors?

5. HiddenNexus

It reads "18A Max", I am honestly unsure about the "pin connectors" what is it?

6. HiddenNexus

If im correct there is a 24 pin connector is that it?

7. helpful

helpful

no six pins (scratch from my previous that I wouldn't recommend a two pin card from your power supply), according to what you stated your video card you choose can draw a max draw '216 watts' you should always leave some head room recommend 60%.

http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/shows/computex/2004/nv45final/connector.jpg is the connector. The better the gaming card, typically the more power draw required.

8. HiddenNexus

The stickers on my psu say:
    +5v and +3.3v not exceed 160w
    Countinous dc output 250w at 55 degrees
    ". ". ". 270w at 40 "
    ". 300w at 25 "

9. HiddenNexus

And yes I have the same connector in the picture.

10. HiddenNexus

Sorry can you rephrase what said didnt understand tge 60% thing.

11. helpful

helpful

Those continuous numbers are confusing but it is clear that it is still a very low power supply overall even though it does supply a great amount of its power on the 12v line.

It says 160 watts on the 3.3 v and 5v, but you also stated 18 amps on 12v which would mean your power supply is close to 372 watts max and 300 watts continuous at ideal temps.

Meaning the 12v isn't really 18amp continuous power. I don't think.

I would go to a brand name power supply because this also is rated differently at different temps and that would impact the power draw. A better video cards can get quite hot and will raise your case temps making your power supply less effective and quite possibly draw too much power from your power supply.

All the newer amd video cards, state 500 watt power supply from amd. Even what could be considered more mainstream like 7850.

12. HiddenNexus

Can you recomend any graphics card that would be of some improvement without the need of change the psu and wont cause heating problems, also what about the processor what can I upgrade to? Or is it really needed?

13. helpful

helpful

the power supply is going to be the limiting factor. Literally all new and previous generation cards are recommended for 400 watt supply or greater even the worst ones on the market.

Upgrading your video card and power supply will give you the best performance increase in games for your buck skip cpu and ram.

If you could afford it, since you want good mainstream gamer performance I would go with amd 7870 and a 600w+ brand name new power supply. You might have clearance issues in oem cases as well check the dimensions of the video card first before purchasing it.

Also dell sometimes uses some propitiatory power connectors. I think they got better now than the past but first check the new power supply has the required connectors.

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!