1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading my processor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by audioaddict, Aug 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. audioaddict

audioaddict Thread Starter

Alright,
    Is it possible for me, an intermediate computer geek, to upgrade my pentium III 600mhz to a faster processor?

If so what would this involve?

Here is my system:
    192MB Ram (PC 100 it think)
    20 gig OEM drive as master
    60 gig WD as slave
    Teac CDR (OEM)

I would also like to add a DVR and a USB 2 port.

Thanks,
    KC

2. Sponsor

3. Annorax

Annorax

It might be, depending on what type of motherboard you have. You could always upgrade to a faster Pentium 3, but changing to say, a Pentium 4 would require a new motheroard.

I'm not sure about the DVR, but USB 2.0 ports are available in PCI form at most stores. Just make sure your BIOS supports them.

4. audioaddict

o.k.

so what is involved in installing a new motherboard?
    what compatability issues might i have?

Thanks

5. Annorax

Annorax

The motherboard is the heart of your computer, but the only parts that would have a compatibility issue are the processor and RAM. Everything else should be fine.

This website is a good place to research some boards. There are 2 main processor types, AMD and Intel. After choosing what processor you want, choose the appropriate motherboard type (eg.. Socket A, etc..). Then, find what RAM type is supported by the board, such as DDR or SDRAM, then buy that RAM and you should be all set.

6. McTimson

McTimson

Well...you may or may not have to reinstall your Operating system...sometimes you do, sometimes you don't, it's a guessing game. Also, your case has to be a standard case, not a HP or Compaq case, or something like that, because your motherboard will most likely not fit it.

7. audioaddict

It is an IBM Aptiva

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/154843