1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading My Processor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RogueVasion, Nov 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RogueVasion

RogueVasion Thread Starter

Hello.

I am new to this website and I hope to become more involved around the forums. Here's my issue:

On Black Friday, I bought a new smaller desktop for my bedroom. Bestbuy had it for $300 with a monitor and printer. It's really good in terms of casual gaming, web stuff; especially when I don't want to go downstairs to use the computer. I posted a link below for reference to the computer's basic information. I know its an eMachines, but it actually runs better than people have usually said.

I want to push a little more gaming into it, but the processor is stopping me from doing that. I can play games like Counter Strike and Team Fortress 2, but in order for me to play games such as Left 4 Dead and Call of Duty 4, I need a stronger processor. My goal is to possibly put a dual core processor on it, if it is a choice.

I did a Belarc test and CPU-Z and found the motherboard information to determine what its available to take for cpu, but no results popped up online. Maybe you all could help me.Here's what the motherboard is, I believe: WMCP78M. And here's the stats on it (dxdiag):

Systems Manufacturer: eMachines
    System Model: EL1210-01e
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) Processor 2650e, ~1.60GHz
    Memory: 1790MB RAM

Tower: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...l1210&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1218020988477

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

2. IMiteBable2help

IMiteBable2help

Theoretically you can upgrade the processor for any PC that doesn't have the maximum allowable processor for the board but this is where the difference between a $300 machine and a $1000 one become very apparent. It probably won't let you do it without all hell breaking loose.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

I'd be leaning toward a video card upgrade rather then a CPU upgrade at this point. The integrated Geforce 8200 isn't exactly a great GPU. But I'm not sure if it would take a full size PCI-Express card due to its size or if the power supply would suffice for most mid to high range gaming cards and thats what'd you need to check first.

4. RogueVasion

RogueVasion Thread Starter

Unfortunately it is not a full size PCI Express slot, probably big enough just for a modem, at most.

The graphics card really isn't much of an issue to me because it will handle all the recent games that have come out, i.e. Left 4 Dead & Fallout 3. Probably not on the max settings, but still playable, in my opinion.

I was looking at this processor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103211

I think that this is the same socket type as the one that's in my computer at this time. The one in here at the moment is an AMD Athlon 64 2650e.

I guess being an average computer user myself doesn't help me at this time...haha.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/774751