1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

upgrading my system--in parts

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by atom1kyak, Nov 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. atom1kyak

atom1kyak Thread Starter

I've noticed that my computer has been a little on the slow side, running some newer programs. I don't play many video games, but i would like to play more--it's just that my system can't really handle anything at the moment.
    I built it, so be nice:
    S939 AMD Athlon 3400+
    250g Seagate SATA drive(150)
    2x 512mb ddr 400 pc3200 ram (1gb total0
    prepare yourself:
    ASUS 6200tc 256mb video card with 64mb onboard

i'd like to upgrade it somehow, but i'm really really limited on cash
    the hard drive is the only thing i'm not worried about

the other problem is this: the different parts are all pretty even. Newegg has an x2 4200 for $65, but it seems like that would totally overbalance my system

any and all advice is appreciated
    thanks

2. Wino

Wino

What motherboard do you have?

I was going to upgrade an 939 Athlon 64X1 3800 to a 64x2 - 4400 recently. Things got out of control and I ended up building an obsolete socket 939 using the 4400.:p So upgrade each at a time. Get the best processor your board can handle (they're cheap now), next plot in a couple gigs of ram, then upgrade the video card. There is no rush and prices are falling.(y)

3. atom1kyak

atom1kyak Thread Starter

sorry--sometimes i forget info like that
    ASUS A8n5x

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That is an nforce4 chipset board. Even though it claims to support dual core cpus, there are problems with the nforce4 chipset and the dual core cpus. If you use an external usb type drive, you almost certainly will have problems.

A work around is to install a usb controller card. This way you do not use the usb ports on the mb.

5. Waldo_II

Waldo_II

First go for a better processor- for a small budget, the 4200+ would be a good choice. Then you might want to spend forty bucks on another gig of RAM, but the one gig you have should be enough for a lot of games.
    Next is the video card- for $80 to $100, you could get a 512MB GeForce 8500 GT, which is comparable to a GeForce 7600. It is the weakest card in the GeForce 8 series, but if you aren't too serious about gaming, it is plenty.
    For $100 to $120 you can get a GeForce 8600 GT (about $10 more for a GTS, higher performing), which I hear is twice as good as the 8500GT.

6. Cildaten

Cildaten

I'm selling my 8500 for 60 atm. Huge regret buying that card.
    Although I can play crysis on it so I'm not too upset.
    An 8500 can let you play BF2 on high settings if you have an alright comp to back it up.
    But if your a crazy gamer, then don't go down the 8500 route, lmao.

7. Waldo_II

Waldo_II

Hahaha, I'm thinking about doing the same. I've got my eye on the EVGA GeForce 8800GT Superclocked, then selling my 8500GT on eBay or something. I should have done much more research before buying this card..

8. atom1kyak

atom1kyak Thread Starter

thanks for all the advice guys--i decided to go really cheap, and just buy a $50 x1650pro. hopefully i can run AOE III now....

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/651116

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice