1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading my upgraded vid card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by levi675, Apr 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. levi675

levi675 Thread Starter

Well I got ancy and went to Wal-Mart and got an Asylum GeforceFX 5200 128MB (recommended by eMachines) $100 (ouch)
    I'll be returning this card of course..

I knew I could find one cheaper, but I kept hearing how the Ti4200 is a better card, even though it doesn't have DX9.

So today I won a auction for a XFX Ti4200 128MB 8x (I have 4x AGP)
    for...$68 (w/ship)!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2796966939
    Hopefully my picky system (the one that won't accept an ATI Anything) will accept the Ti series card. Good move...right?

Anyway, will I have any conflicts installing a card that supprts DX8 when I have DX9 currently installed?

Thanks all

2. active95

active95

No problems ... DX9 incorporates previous Dx's and adds new features. Basically the new features in DX ( like pixel shager ) will be " disabled" once the card will be installed.

3. levi675

levi675 Thread Starter

Cool, much appreciated active.
    I think I'll be happy with the change, I just want a good card, w/out a lot of hassle..and be able to run Halo at a respectable speed.
    ..which card so you think is best for, say, SplinterCell? (or other relatively new game)

4. active95

active95

Well unfortunately there are 2 options.
    1. Play the game
    2. Enjoy the beauty of the game.
    For option 1, most of the new video cards will do ( you need to "cut" most of the bells and whistle from the video options, but you can play it
    For option 2, you'll need "muscle". You'll need a video card able to process Pixel Shader 2.0 and a whole other sleuth of things. In this category you'll need to think ATI 9600 XT and up, GeforceFX 5700 and up. With the top end as in ATI 9800 ( 256 megs) and Geforce FX 5900 you will enjoy the game in all the "splendor".

5. levi675

levi675 Thread Starter

Understood, thanks.
    I'm looking for most bang for the buck, and most the reviews I found hold the Ti4200 in high regard for the money against the 5200 and lower ATI 9xxx cards (my system rejects ATI cards anyway):(

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/216457

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice