1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading my Video card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bcturman, Feb 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bcturman

bcturman Thread Starter

So my parents went out and bought a "hp p7-1207c". And I was wondering if I could add a video card to the pc.
    The Motherboard is a "AAHD3-hb".
    When I was reading the the info on the motherboard it said it has 1 PCI Express x16 so my question is does the integrated graphics on the motherboard have anything to do with this slot and if it doesn't could I add a graphics card to my PC and would it be worth it.

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Here are the specs for the computer: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...portFAQ&prodSeriesId=5187022&prodTypeId=12454

I notice the computer has a 300 watt power supply, so you will need to choose a graphics card that will work with it. Also verify the power supply has connectors available to power the graphics card if it needs separate power, and check the length of the card to verify it will fit in the case.

3. pip22

pip22

The integrated graphics adapter is entirely separate from the PCI-E expansion slots.
    When you install a PCI-E graphics card, the integrated graphics adapter is automatically disabled to prevent resource conflicts.

Whether or not it would be worth it depends on how powerful the new card is, and whether or not you intend to play the latest feature-rich games on that PC. As it is, the integrated Radeon graphics adapter is quite respectable in the performance stakes. There are 3 different integrated adapter models used on the HP P7-1207c, dependant on the CPU model, see this: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...&docname=c03134247&lc=en&product=5192585#N423

I wouldn't rush out to buy a graphics card for it unless or until you discover that the integrated graphics just isn't powerful enough for the type of software you want to run, otherwise you may be spending money unneccesarily.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the support site for the HP Pavilion p7-1207c desktop.

You should add and save this site in the browser favorites/bookmarks list so it's readily available when needed.

According to its product specifications section:

It comes with an AMD Quad Core 2.2 GHz processor.

It comes with 6 GB of DDR3 RAM.

It comes with ATI Radeon high definition integrated graphics.

Its motherboard has a PCI Express x16 slot for upgrading to a video card.

It has a 300 watt power supply.

Unless your parents have a use for that computer that requires upgrading to a video card, the integrated graphics will do fine.

Upgrading to a video card may also require upgrading to a power supply of sufficient higher wattage.

-------------------------------------------------------

5. bcturman

bcturman Thread Starter

Okay thanks for the help

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome. :)

Better to ask here first than to take the plunge and then run into problems. :eek:

Beats me why HP continues to provide wimpy power supplies in its higher end desktops. :(

---------------------------------------------------------

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!