1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading my Windows XP Pro

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by JRomach8, Sep 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JRomach8

JRomach8 Thread Starter

My problem first started out when I was running an application to reset my windows log-in password when I forgot it. Once I reset my password I was able to log into windows but I noticed the operating system looked different. I saw when I went into display properties my video driver was not there. I tried re-installing the driver for my video card and the driver still didn't show up in display properties. I was getting a VGA driver for my video card so I disabled that driver thinking that was conflicting with the NVIDIA driver I just installed. Once I restarted , the windows screen booted up with the bar going across and than the screen went black instead of loading up next to my log-in screen. I know the monitor was still receiving a signal because the LED light was still green but the screen was black.

At this point, I tried updating Windows from my Windows XP Pro Cd. Once the files were copied to my harddrive and the system is rebooted it says......Setup to Windows restarted...... And it keeps going in this loop.

If someone can help me with this problem where I can get back into my computer to backup my files or even fix this problem that would be great.

2. natcom

natcom

can you boot on safe mode at all ? this look to me like a bad video driver.sys file

3. JRomach8

JRomach8 Thread Starter

I tried booting on safe-mode and it still didn't work. The screen still remained black. Now everytime I try to start my computer it says....Setup to windows restarted and I can't do anything.

4. natcom

natcom

5. JRomach8

JRomach8 Thread Starter

Hey Natcom, I see that this article is related to Windows ME. Wil this work exactly the same for Windows XP Pro?

6. natcom

natcom

sorry i repost for windows xp

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270890

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice