1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading notebook RAM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Beauzeau, Dec 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beauzeau

Beauzeau Thread Starter

I have an HP Pavilion dv5 Notebook, Model No. 2074dx. A friend of mine recently upgraded the RAM in his Dell Inspiron and it was very simple - he just removed one screw from the RAM compartment on the bottom of the case to gain access. We thought it would be just as easy to access the RAM compartment on my notebook, but there are no screws anywhere on the bottom of the case.

I have spent a lot of time trying to find instructions, but have been unsuccessful. I looked through the manuals relating to my HP notebook, but didn't find any relevant information. I did not find any instructions on the HP website and HP charges for telephone support. I even searched through YouTube, but found nothing helpful. I did find a website called "Inside My Laptop," which has an article titled "How to remove keyboard, replace memory and access hard drive in HP 2133 Mini-Note PC." While this article concerns a different HP model from the one I have, I found a reason to believe that these instructions might apply to my notebook. The article indicates that after you remove the battery, you will find three screws in a specific place in the battery compartment that need to be removed to begin the procedure. I found three screws in the same place in my battery compartment. I really need to confirm that these instructions are applicable to my notebook as the article warns that it is possible to damage the motherboard to the extent that it would have to be replaced by a new one.

My friend and I want to learn how to service and repair our own computers but we are beginners. I don't want to start taking my computer apart unless it is absolutely necessary to do so to upgrade the RAM. If this article applies to my computer, I am willing to follow the procedure described in it because the instructions are explicit and include warnings and photos. Does anyone know if these instructions for the HP 2133 would apply to the HP dv5, Model No. 2074dx? If not, is there any other place where I could find instructions that would be relevant to my notebook? Thanks in advance for any responses.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The Maintenance and Service Guide for the DV5-2074dx does indeed include the location and method to access to memory modules in the laptop, check out page 50 of the manual.

Link to the HP site for manuals for the DV5-2074dx: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=4278971&

Also, simply removing a few screws would not damage the motherboard, but what can damage the board is static electricity once the panel is removed exposing the board and slots so be sure to discharge any static electricity before handling the parts.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082781

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice