1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

upgrading Nvidia drivers

Discussion in 'Games' started by FinestRanger, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FinestRanger

FinestRanger Thread Starter

I read the uninstall tips for installing updated drivers on the Nvidia page. Is there a program that'll ensure a TOTAL removal of the drivers for my GeForce FX5200? I'll uninstall through the control panel in XP, but was hoping there was a way to delete the "scraps" without manually doing it. Thanks.

2. Zonked

Zonked

Driver Cleaner + Cab Cleaner
    Follow the directions included in the readme.txt. Incase you cant find the 'cab cleaner' option it is under the 'tools' tab.
    You may also want to take a look at THIS thread

3. FinestRanger

Thanks much, Zonked.

4. FinestRanger

Damn...this is my first time uninstalling and re-installing drivers for my video card. Any suggestions?

5. Zonked

Zonked

This is how I do it. Initial steps Ill paste from DC3's readme.txt since I do it this way exactly...

"1. Unplug nic card or modem from net or disconnect
    2. Remove nvidia from add/remove programs
    3. Reboot into safe mode (F8 during boot up)
    4. On reboot into safe mode WinXP SP1/SP2 will auto detect and install drivers. Just let it do its thing. If you can cancel out of the auto install hardware wizard then skip the rest and run Driver Cleaner! If you can NOT cancel out of auto detect wizard then...
    5. Navigate to device mgr->display adapters->highlight nVidia and click uninstall or remove but don't reboot
    6. Disable any AntiVirus Software (If you don't disable is than it could give trouble)
    7. Run Cab Cleaner (not needed, but recommended)
    8. Run Driver Cleaner
    9. Empty recycle bin and reboot
    10. Install the new drivers"
    -reboot

Then I open 'Services.msc' using 'Run' and find "NVIDIA Display Driver Service" and disable it from 'startup type'.
    Then Start/Run 'msconfig' I disable Nwiz and NVmedia center (not 100% sure of name because its 100% deleted from my comp/registry) from startup, as they can be resource hogs.
    -Reboot

You should be set now...

But because Im such a "tweaker", at this point I would apply my typical vc tweaks such as turning off AA/AF, disabling Vsync, etc. Depending on my mood I use either "NVhardpage" or "Rivatuner". And yet once again...
    -Reboot

6. bookime wood

bookime wood

Yes just uninstall nvidia display drivers from add/remove.

boot into safe mode

run Driver Cleaner and select nivida and let it clean them.

reboot.

install new drivers

bookime

7. FinestRanger

well...thanks for the direction, guys. Only took two times of installing/uninstalling Call of Duty AND the drivers. CoD's WORKING AGAIN. Drivers were six months old, and with the new patch, it wouldn't run in Single Player mode. Also the 3 new maps, in multiplayer, wouldn't run. I'm a happy man. Thanks a lot! (y)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223951

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice