1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading of domains – need suggestions plz

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by jmt2017, Jan 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jmt2017

jmt2017 Thread Starter

Hello everyone!

I am a Junior IT admin but my employer is giving me a lot of responsibilities lately and as such I need some help. One of the challenges he gave me is to solve this scenario and propose a better setup. At the moment I have two sites which are geographically close to each other but not so close to be on CAT5 cabling. So there's a fibre link in between and their IP schemas are different. Moreover they are running different AD versions..one is Windows 2008 R2 and the other is the now obsolete Windows 2003.

The scenario we want is to phase out BOTH ADs and move both sites on the same domain in such a way that if one of the ADs fails it will failover to the other AD. Therefore the sites must have distinguishable ADs but still pertain to the same forest. The users on this server will store their data on a central storage which preferably will be a SAN or something similar.

What do you guys and dolls suggest for a setup like this? VMWARE, HYPERV, Veeam..?

Thanks all

J

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!