Upgrading Old Computers.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jack-o-bytes

Hi. I am making a guide to release on this website about upgrading old computers:D If you decide to give tips about upgrading then please put them into categories.

Hard Drive Tips IDE/SATA
RAM Tips PC/DDR/
CPU Tips Single core slot/ single core socket
PSU Tips
Graphics Card Tips AGP 2x, 4x, and 8x

Hopefully I will be able to gather a lot of tips and then release all the information and help the Techguy comunity with usefull tips and help on upgrading old computers.

I believe that upgrading computers is a lot better than buying new computers because it is better for the environment and also a lot cheaper.

DoubleHelix

Banned
It's not always cheaper to upgrade. Depends what you have to work with.

I'm not sure what kind of "tips" you're looking for. Upgrade options and hardware compatibility aren't general tips or questions.

I have accumulated lots of computers and parts over time and managed to "upgrade" or salvage working computers from the mess from time to time.
My conclusion is that it's not worth the effort unless you're going to give them away or experiment with them. I have Free Cycled several of these, and people seem to be grateful.
One thing you left out is the OS. For people who are interested, Linux can make this effort worth the time and trouble.

jack-o-bytes

Yes.

I was going to install Puppy Linux on a computer with a 650Mhz cpu and 256mb pc100 RAM. But I dont know how. Any Tips?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.