1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading old laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by luke_bennett, Apr 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. luke_bennett

luke_bennett Thread Starter

Hi everyone.
    I'm helping a friend upgrade their laptop, its a Compaq nx9005.

Definitely wanna upgrade the RAM, but also thinking about doing the CPU as well.

From what I can tell, the most RAM it can handle is 2x 512 MB 266 MHz SODIMM DDR SDRAM RAM modules.
    If I look for that on eBay, its gonna be fairly expensive, I was thinking that I could probably get some newer RAM that is backwards compatible, but I'm a little out of my depth. Would this be suitable? http://cgi.ebay.com.au/KTT667D2-512...ltDomain_0&hash=item4cf29853b5#ht_2123wt_1141

Also wanna do the CPU, I know that it takes a AMD Mobile Athlon XP-M processor, would this work? http://cgi.ebay.com.au/AMD-Mobile-A...538?pt=CPUs&hash=item53dd7bbcb2#ht_548wt_1141

Thanks for any help.

Luke.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Most CPU's on laptops, as well as other parts, are permanently soldered in place. A newer, working laptop can be bought for less than the cost of parts. Upgrading is never worth the money, except possibly RAM.

3. luke_bennett

The cost of those 2 components is $45.
    Surely you don't I can get a newer laptop for that?
    I must admit I haven't taken the casing off to have a look to see if the processor is soldered on, but why would they sell these particular CPUs if the laptops they are used in cannot be upgraded?

4. getsugatenso

getsugatenso

its a cheaper board to manufacture, makes the laptop thinner/smaller and it a way of making sure you upgrade to a new laptop in 3 years or so. its called a ball grid array and its always problematic when the chip goes faulty, happens with quite a few graphics chips too. example, why is the mac book air so thin? almost everything is integrated into one board and soldered down

5. luke_bennett

OK well I wasn't all that worried about the CPU anyway, just thought if I could get one cheap I could throw it in.
    Just wanna bump up the RAM to 1GB.
    Can anyone tell me where I can get some cheap RAM that will work in this laptop? Keep in mind I live in Australia, so I cant but components from sites such as newegg, at least not without spending a buttload on postage.
    Cheers.

6. getsugatenso

getsugatenso

by my reckoning it wont be possible the ram is used slightly differently in terms of architecture and im not sure if it would downclock to 266mhz from 667mhz. its not a widely used technology so its bound to be a bit more expensive

7. catlady13

catlady13

For sure the ram you mention will not work . You need sd ram and what you are looking at is ddr2 ram. It won't fit.

8. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    The ram in your link is DDR2 but your laptop uses DDR ram which is older and probably more expensive.

Be careful, if ram is specified as PC2-2100 it's DDR2 if it's PC-2100 it's DDR.

Ebay is probably the best place to look, the higher speed types will work but at the laptop's 2100=266MHz speed.

9. raybro

raybro

Click here to see what Crucial has to offer.

BTW.. I searched the Crucial site by the Compaq model number.

Raybro

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/989812

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice