1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading Older Gaming PC - Need Expert Advise

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by icedtc, Jun 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. icedtc

icedtc Thread Starter

So I bought a pretty nice gaming pc about 2 years ago...and i want to keep her around but add some upgrades.

Heres what I have on board at the moment:

Amd Athalon 64 x2 3800+ Processor
    Ati x1900 512mb videocard
    3 gig of corsair ddr ram pc3200
    ABIT KN8 Ultra Motherboard

I wanted a dx10 videocard so I just snagged:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150267

Now i am considering upgrading my processor to an amd 5600+ or 6000+ x2...but don't know if I should upgrade my motherboard at the same time?

I want a pretty good gaming pc, and have heard great things about that videocard. I am new to upgrading myself but am excited to learn. Please give me your input.

If you think mobo and new processor plz give me some ideas...thanks so much

2. jamesx121

jamesx121

what case and power supply do you have??

first if you want to use a tall CPU cooler, you will have clearance problems with a mid tower size case,
    also if you stay with ide ribbon a mid tower size case can become real crowded
    with multiple dvd drives or multiple harddrives in a raid set-up

is this your motherboard???
    http://www.pcplanetsystems.com/abc/product_details.php?category_id=113&item_id=611
    shows DDR1 memory---

I will let other posters give recommendations about the latest motherboards and CPU's
    for the best prices.

3. icedtc

icedtc Thread Starter

4. jamesx121

jamesx121

plus I'm not sure you will get all the benefits out of a DX10 video card
    installed on a motherboard running DDR1

5. Yuuuu

Yuuuu

your current processor will be bottlenecking your gfx.. best if you could get a new processor+motherboard. case is good enough for size.. psu should be ok, but its always better to get a branded one.

6. icedtc

icedtc Thread Starter

what motherboard/processor do you suggest?

could i just replace the processor from a 3800+ x2 to a 5600+ x2 to prevent bottlenecking or will I need a new board entirely?

7. jamesx121

jamesx121

if you spent 240 dollars (usa) for your video card that case is a major bummer

in the mid size this is the cats meow!!!!!!!!!!!!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021

here is also a great brand.---just look a one that has a intake fan on the left
    side panel to blow in onto the chipset or CPU.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...=&Subcategory=7&description=&Ntk=&srchInDesc=

8. matthew0155

matthew0155

yes you can just upgrade your cpu. If your motherboard supports it.
    Also if you buy a new motherboard you will need to buy new memory which is DDR2 mem.

9. icedtc

icedtc Thread Starter

would sticking with my mobo, but upgrading from a x2 3800+ to a 5600+ or x2 6000+ solve the bottle necking issue?

Also how do I know the max my mobo can handle?

I would be very happy if I could just upgrade the processor for now, and then the mobo/ddr2 memory in a few months.

10. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

The specs for your MB: http://www.uabit.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=32&Itemid=48&page=2&model=285

It's a socket 939 MB that uses DDR (not DDR2) memory. Both outdated in terms of technology. It would be a waste of money in my opinion to upgrade the CPU using this MB as it won't be transferable to a newer MB later on. Higher end socket 939 CPUs are pretty rare and expensive these days.

It does have a PCI-Express 16X slot though so your new video will work fine. Probably not up to it's full potential but you can always transfer it to a new MB/CPU/RAM combo later on when you have the money.

11. icedtc

icedtc Thread Starter

So would my best bet to be to snag a new mobo and processor, and then most likely newer ddr2 ram?

If so, would my case and 500w power supply be ok?

Thanks so much for your guys help.

If you think this is my best route, can you refer me to a decent mobo/processor?

I will prolly go with a 5600+ X2 AMD or the new 6000+. But am not very familiar with mobo's and the features i should look for.

Again, any help is much appreicated.

12. icedtc

icedtc Thread Starter

After searching around I found what looks to be a great deal...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...details.asp?EdpNo=3738450&Sku=MCM-M2NSLI-6000

I am a noob, I have put in videocards/ram/fans/etc etc but nothing as hardcore as a mobo or processor.

How would this pair up with the videocard i just snagged? So in the future I could buy another card and use sli.

Would this kit fit my case well? If so would my 500w powercore be sufficient?

Thanks so much guys...honestly.

13. matthew0155

matthew0155

yes it will be sufficent, but im sorry i thought you had a socket AM2.
    Ya, motherboard and CPU, my personal system is a
    ASUS M2NE-SLi motherboard and
    5600+ CPU
    and yes you can buy a graphics card now, and another one later and go sli!
    i recommend really looking into sli before buying it because normally 1 high end card can normally match what sli can offer.

Is your graphics card a PCI-E? If so with either of the recommended motherboards you'll be fine.

14. jamesx121

jamesx121

matthew

he spent 240 dollars US for his card---
    here is the link he gave

I wanted a dx10 videocard so I just snagged:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150267

XFX PVT88GYDD4 GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

15. icedtc

icedtc Thread Starter

Hey james,

hows that deal look that I linked for the processor/mobo/ram?

I hear the 6000+ x2 amd is pretty much just as good as most quad cores today since they are fairly new.

Im thinking that kit, with my video card and maybe a 600-750watt power supply would be a nice combo for a good year or two.

What do you think? dual core or quad?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!