1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading Older Gaming PC - Need Expert Advise

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by icedtc, Jun 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jamesx121

jamesx121

it basically what you can afford.
    right now I don't think there is any software out there that can take advantage
    of all four cores in a quad core.

I don't know anything about AMD--
    I have always ended up with Intel CPU's

I am very happy with my Intel Core 2 Duo--
    I have a Core 2 Duo 8400 on my desktop
    and a Core 2 Duo 5250 in my laptop-

a lot of people here on the forum have AMD-
    so they will be better to say which AMD to buy

2. brite750

brite750

try pricing the items on TD site at newegg sometimes newegg is even cheaper than TD's bundles, also keep in mind that AMD6000+ doesnt have a heatsink.
    The TD bundles Asus Mb is an older chipset but it has 2 ide slots which you may need if your drives are IDE type and not Sata. BTW what is you 500watt psu? make and model you may not need a new one 500watts is enough if its a decent brand and has the amps on the 12V+ rail that is required for the gfx card

3. brite750

brite750

wish i would have caught you before you bought the gfx card the 8800GT-512 is about $150 now and paired up with my sons 6400+ and 2gigs of DDR2-800 is blows through games i.e. crysis, etc.

4. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

That package looks good.

Really up to you as to how much you want to spend.

Just for basic guidelines on the MB:
    AMD CPU: look for AM2+ support so you can upgrade to Phenom later
    Intel CPU: look for 45nm support for the new 8k series CPUs
    - 4 to 16Gb maximum ram support
    - 4 or more SATA connectors
    - 1 or more PCI-Express 16x slots (SLI for NVidia cards)

other bells and whistles as needed.

5. matthew0155

matthew0155

the 6000+ does have a heatsink, the 6400+ black edition does not(y)

6. icedtc

icedtc Thread Starter

So, after much consideration...and my "economic stimulus" check, i decided to breakdown that tigerdirect deal and see what newegg could offer me.

Heres what I ended up snagging:

Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128081

Ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231144

Processor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103194

Heatsink: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200015

Power Supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171013

Any tips for a noobie?! Thanks so much for all the help guys, very good community

7. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

8. icedtc

icedtc Thread Starter

I did a quick measurement and it seems like it will squeak in there...but only time will tell.

I got it at a discount when I snagged the processor so will try my best...if not i guess its time for the 90mm one.

Is there any red flags...or tips you can give a new pc builder?

I mean, I am patient, have done sound cards/cd drives/video cards/ram etc etc etc...but never an entire new mobo/processor/power supply.

It seems kind of easy as in...as long as your case fits it all and your components all match life is good. Just plug in my 2 hdd's and when its all installed with any luck it will start up as normal, correct?

9. Yuuuu

Yuuuu

http://www.overclock.net/air-cooling/334309-ocz-vendetta-2-connection-mobo.html#post3902431

processor in before heatsink. =)

first thing you shld do is to check which holes your motherboard is going to use, then fix in the washers. put the processor in and the heatsink and connect those led/pwr/rst wires. then its just placing them into the case and connecting it to the other components.

if its possible do a test to make sure everything is working before you assemble it inside your case.

10. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Hmm Tips: I don't build too many systems these days but lets see..
    1. Make sure to touch something metal before goin in to discharge any static electricity.
    2. Remove all cables from the drives or push them to the side so they don't get in the way during the removal/install.
    3. The cables from your case for the power button/reset/HD led, etc may or may not be labeled well. Be ready to label each one if you need to.
    4. Put the new PSU in before the MB
    5. Before putting the new MB in, make sure the little metal standoffs on the case tray line up with the screw holes on the MB and there aren't any extras which may cause a short when you turn on the power.
    6. Clean the contact surface of the heatsink with a little alcohol. Sometimes they're a little greasy.
    7. I believe that part or all of that heatsink will need to be installed on the MB outside of the case so be careful putting it into the case afterwards or you may damage the CPU.
    8. Take your time.

Good luck.

11. icedtc

icedtc Thread Starter

Are items like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007 100% needed?

Out of everything, this seems to be the most intimidating part of the entire build up.

But thanks for the tips! I am going to make sure theres 0% chance of static, and will definately assemble the processor/heatsink before installation of the mobo into the case.

So are you saying I should lay the mobo on a safe surface and try to assemble everything out of the case to test?

The geek in me is really shining now haha, I have always wanted to build my own pc and am very excited on learning how...I pray for beginners luck.

If you think of anymore tips, i greatly appreciate it. I hear oc'ing the processor i got is quite safe/very easy...but thats an entire other beast I won't be tackling for a good week or two.

12. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Thermal grease should come with the heatsink you got. No need to order better stuff unless you plan on doin some serious OC'ing.

13. icedtc

icedtc Thread Starter

is the general idea to put the processor in the mobo and then rub an even coat over the top of the processor before putting on the heatsink?

I assume it will come with instructions...just a tad intimidated :eek:

14. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Yep.

The CPU should only fit in the socket a certain way (basically fall right in). If you have to push it in, you're doing something wrong.
    - pull up lever
    - line up corner of the CPU that has the arrow to the proper corner of the socket (refer to MB manual) and let it drop in.
    - push lever down to tighten
    - squeeze a thin layer of thermal grease on the top of the CPU (just the little raised rectangle area in the center). I just use the tip of the grease tube to spread it out.
    - install heatsink

15. icedtc

icedtc Thread Starter

Much appreciated my friend.

Hopefully newegg will come through as always and my party can begin on Saturday!

Im using my 2 existing hdd's which are still perfectly fine. Once I boot up, it should (if all goes well) just toss me into vista like normal right?

I'm sure your snickering at my noob questions I just want to be as prepared as possible so it goes as smooth as I can make it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/718239

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice