1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading Older Gaming PC - Need Expert Advise

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by icedtc, Jun 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

I would do a backup of all your important data before the teardown.

Chances are 50/50 on whether Windows will work correctly since you're doing a major overhaul (eg. replacing the MB). This usually requires a clean install of Windows afterwards and possible re-activation.

Also, once you get the new system up and if you do need to reinstall Windows, make sure to make frequent use of the System Restore utility to create Restore points before doing major Updates or Application installs. Just in case something goes wrong, you can always go back.

2. icedtc

icedtc Thread Starter

Thanks a lot.

Im on a home network, so my major files will be put on my old pc just in case.

I actually just went from xp pro to vista so I experienced a clean wipe there as well...im getting used to it :).

My main hdd is my c: which holds windows, etc etc.

My d drive is all my songs/videos/tv shows/etc. should I move all of this over as well, or will it most likely be safe and my c: will be the one that may have the problems?

The problem I run into is that my c: is only 80g so a copy if fine, but i got a good 100gig of data on the D: which would be a hassle to backup...

Glad to see your checking my thread often...I need a friend who knows his **** haha. Your the man.

Also...without windows booting, how do I know everything went alright with my hardware updates? Like will it boot me all the way to where windows would be...but then ill get a message saying no windows found?

Haha I hope your the type who enjoys answering a noobies questions!

3. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

NP, it's what I do for fun when I'm at work and it's a bit slow. :)

If you do need to re-install Windows, just the C: drive will be wiped so no worries about the D: drive.

I basically have the same system for my HDDs. My [C:] Primary drive is only 80gb and then I have a few larger ones for storage and apps. From my experience, it's usually the primary drive that fails since the OS gets used constantly. Having the OS on the smallest drive also makes it easy to create a backup image.

If Windows doesn't like your new hardware, it'll most likely stop or display an error right after the POST process.

4. icedtc

icedtc Thread Starter

Haha awesome. Hopefully you get bored on weekends too cuz i'll mostly likely be building it then.

I assumed that the D: would be pretty damn safe since there is no windows on it. So thats not a huge worry since my D is 250gig and I already have the windows.old from a few weeks back when I upgrade to Vista.

Quick question for you...know anything about Vista 64 as opposed to 32. I have 32 but you can get the upgrade to 64 for like 15 bucks. I hear it makes the ram potential (because i believe that vista32 only recognizes 4gigs...including video card ram) and 64 is much higher.

What other pros does it have...and is the driver support terrible? Might as well toss all my questions out! Just ti keep you from being bored of course

(y)

5. matthew0155

matthew0155

ya, looks good, should work like a charm. Im not sure if someone pointed this out yet, but that cpu heatsink may need its own bracket, so you may have to take off the original bracket off the motherboard, which should be just 4 screwes...
    Another note, if you try and take things a little quick you may get a little fast with the screwdriver while installing it to the case, if you do and you miss the screw and knick the motherboard with the screwdriver you may scrap it, so be extra careful while installing it to the case.
    Nothing should have to be forced in as someone mentioned. Ram, line up the lines with the lines on the motherboard, give it a little push and it should click right in.
    Good Luck to you.

6. icedtc

icedtc Thread Starter

thanks for the tips matt!

I really want to take my time so I don't mess anything up. Excellent advice to go slow and be sure I don't put in any screws too fast.

I read on the specs of that heatsink and it sounds like its got an adapter for my board type, but will definitely see if I have to remove the stock shroud first.

I hope my case fits that fan well, I wanted to try and get away without buying another case and I love the looks of this one anyway.

If not, I will most likely downgrade to a smaller fan but like I said i got 22 bucks off for the combo so I said, lets give it a shot!

If you think of anything else lemme know!

7. icedtc

icedtc Thread Starter

Another quick noobie question, how would I know how much wattage i have left to add fans, etc.

My videocard recommends a 600w so that what I went with, but I want to add a fan or two on the side of my case but obviously don't want to suck up too much power.

Sorry if I'm a moron!

8. scdude

scdude

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

Here's a PSU calculator, hope that helps : )

Edit.

You should be fine though with 600W. The main thing to note with a PSU when considering it for a video card is the 12V rails. Check the requirements for your GPU and compare with the PSU.

9. icedtc

icedtc Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for that site!!

Its nice to see the rough estimate of wattage needed. I put in most of my specs an still only roam around the 400w area. Although I obviously wanna have plenty of head room and the ability to OC in the future.

I really appreciate the help here guys. It's went from a quick question about a new pc to a complete guide to helping in most aspects.

Much appreciated and also much needed help. :D

Keep responding and ill keep asking noob questions haha

10. scdude

scdude

Another thing to note is the PSU's efficiency rating. So, say it's a 1000W PSU at >80% efficiency, then expect to get at least 800W of power out of it. Energy gets wasted on its way to the components, this is why people generally say go a step up with your PSU.

Or something like that.......I'm no electrician.

Well, here is a nice article on the subject that can explain it correctly:
    http://compreviews.about.com/od/cases/a/PSUEfficiency.htm

11. matthew0155

matthew0155

sure, as for power i wouldent worry about it, i have an amd 5600+ with a 7600gt 256mb graphics card with 3 fans, l.e.d. grill and a neon (ill probably add a second one, plus a dvd drive and a cd drive and another sound card, running on a 450watt antec. im still not worried about power... Although that card you have is power hungry, but if you have a reputable brand power supply i would put adding a fan or 2 the last thing on my mind.

12. Yuuuu

Yuuuu

another thing is that efficiency is not constant.. it could be 80% at 1000W, 82% at 500W and even 70% at 300W. thats why you're paying more for the 80+ certification.

dont worry too much about fans, they draw very little power, whats more important is to do some good cable management after you're done to make sure that the airflow is good.

anw whats the model of your current case?

13. icedtc

icedtc Thread Starter

14. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

I would not bother with the 64 bit version at this time. There just isn't enough support and you'll just end up being very annoyed when you can't find drivers or that game you just bought doesn't work.

You can put 4Gb into your new system with 32-bit Vista and should have use of about 3.4Gb of it which should be more than enough for Vista.

15. icedtc

icedtc Thread Starter

Do you tihnk my case is sufficient for cooling? I though if push came to shove...I could mod the side myself and put in a fan for extra cooling.

And I hear you about the 64...2 gig is good for now, and for another 60 bucks I will definately go for another 2 gigs after I make sure my rig is up and running like a champ.

Heres another q for ya...say i install my processor...use the thermal grease, put on my heatsink...and find out the fan is just too damn big...if i had to go to a lower size will I have to remove that grease or just put a new heatsink on and call it a day?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!