1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading Older Gaming PC - Need Expert Advise

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by icedtc, Jun 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

You'll have to clean off the grease from the heatsink and CPU (tissue paper with a little alcohol works well) and then put a new layer on the CPU.

2. catlady13

catlady13

It is best whenever you remove your heatsink to clean it and the cpu base properly with isopropyl alcohol the 99% kind not the other stuff as it has lanolin in it. Most new heatsinks that come with cpus seem to have a pad on them already instead of thermal grease so see if yours does before you add anything else to it. If it doesn't ... take a look at the artic silver page as it has diagrams and such showing you how to use it.. or how to use thermal grease in general. And seems as if you are using aftermarket heatsink so it may not have a thermal pad already on it. Just don't overdo with the thermal grease. It is only supposed to fill any microscopic gaps to get a good connection between the heatsink and the cpu die. It is NOT good to get it on the motherbooard or any other parts you are working with so for sure don't glob it on.

3. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

That case should be ok.
    You could do a little self modding and add 120mm fans in two spots I think.
    - on the side through the plexiglass
    - possibly in the 3 lower 5.25 drive bays on the front since the whole front of the case is perforrated anyway.

4. icedtc

icedtc Thread Starter

Good to see my best thread pal and I both troll the internet when work is slow!

Do you have any input on my case? Is it really obsolete? I realize there is no fan to rush in or out air on the side of the case...but I could easily mod it to allow better cooling and would almost rather have a custom one than spending another 150 on a case for just that feature.

I obviously don't want to jeprodize performance, and I'm not trying to cheap out just seeing where I stand.

5. icedtc

icedtc Thread Starter

Sorry I reposted before you answered. Mine is that exact model but the side isn't plexi, it's straight metal, but I have the tools to cut it...or even snag a piece of plexi to put in if I choose.

Thats exactly what I was thinking as well...which leads to yet ANOTHER noob question. Perhaps the most foolish of all...

Ok lets just assume all goes well, and I mod my case for some better cooling. I assume the front fan you speak of would be an easy install and I would want it pulling the air inward and pushing toward the back, so the rear 120mm blows it out....

But if I slap a fan on the side of the case...do I want cool air blowing in on my components, or do I want it sucking outward...therefore taking the warm air out?

6. icedtc

icedtc Thread Starter

Catlady - thanks a lot. I definately will make sure my processor and or heatsink don't have pads and if they don't I will use a small amount of thermal.

As a beginner, Im just trying to be overly cautious so at the very least...I don't damage any expensive components!

7. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Side fan would blow IN to support cooling the components.

The rear fan and PSU fan should be enough to blow hot air out.

8. icedtc

icedtc Thread Starter

Excellent. It seems like a fun alternative to mod my case over buying new :)

9. icedtc

icedtc Thread Starter

Looks like I'll be waiting til mid week to get all the parts!

I guess it gives me a few more days to backup everything and do a few measurements for some fans in the case. (y)

10. icedtc

icedtc Thread Starter

I was just wondering if anyone knows of a good program to monitor pc temperatures?

Thanks!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!