1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading options?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hawk1220, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hawk1220

hawk1220 Thread Starter

Hey guys the game I play is Enemy Territory:Quake Wars

I upgraded my computer a few months ago and these are my specs:

* Windows XP Pro SP2
    * AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core BE-2300 2.00 GHz
    * 2.00 GB of RAM
    * SAMSUNG SyncMaster 712n 17" (1028x1024 LCD)
    * GeForce 8600 GT 512MB
    * OmegaDrivers (2.169.21)

I play on 1028x1024 resolution because of the aspect ratio of my monitor.

I upgraded from:

*Windows XP Pro SP2
    *AMD Athlon 3200+ 2.0 GHz
    *1.00 GB of RAM
    *SAMSUNG SyncMaster 512n (Native resolution is 1024x768)
    *ATi Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB
    *Which ever version of omega drivers back then

--------------------------------------------------------
    Before I upgraded I get around 25~40 FPS (Unplayable, can't even aim [I play counter-strike 1.6 so I would personally like it smooth)
    But now I upgraded I get around 30~50 and 60 (Unplayable can only get a few lucky kills)
    Now I am thinking of upgrading again so I asked my brother to look for a new Processor (Becuase I thought the reason my FPS is like this is because of my processor) He disagreed with me and told me to look for a new gfx card instead.
    and with the specs I have now which gfx card should I get to get around 100~90 FPS at the resolution I play at? (1028x1024)
    BTW: For the graphical settings in-game I just press the button that Automatically chooses for me.

thanks

2. techdawg667

techdawg667

well 30~50 fps is fast for smooth gameplay. the human eye can only detect things 20 fps and down, so does it really matter? Also, getting 100-90 FPS requires a lot of money. Around 2-3 grand. And I don't get how CS is unplayable despite the fast frame rate. Bottom line, you don't need an upgrade, unless you meant 3-5 fps...

3. johnsonwk2

johnsonwk2

I agree. 30 - 50 is good. Now if it drops bellow 25 then I would say you need to upgrade. I would be looking into how good of a ping your getting on average if you think something is holding you back.

4. iMPACT

iMPACT

i play counter strike 1.6 as well i understand what its like to play at rediculous fps 100fps vsync off, but with newer games getting 100fps+ is going to cost u and its unlikely for many games except for UT3 and COD4 which require 2000+ systems other games its near immpossible for todays technology. but if u really want more frame rates u should of went with the 8800GTS its just $40 more and its more powerful.
    at around 30-50 its playable i don't know whats wrong with ur eyes.

5. hawk1220

hawk1220 Thread Starter

I guess it's just the netcode of the game (ETQW) that makes the game play feels awkward
    but I've been looking around the community forums of etqw and many stated their specs and some even play at a higher resolution than me, but they say they have like 90~100 fps.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701792

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice