Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Upgrading OS from MS Vista when "copy not genuine"

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  badness 
#1 ·
We want to upgrade our Vista PC to a more recent version of Windows but for some time have been getting the message on screen "this copy of windows is not genuine." We have been using the machine fine despite this message but don't know what will happen when we try and upgrade. Is it fine just to go ahead and upgrade? Also, how do we work out which more recent MS version is best for us?

#3 ·
Pheebee:

You didn't describe your computer(brand name, model name, model number), nor did you advise if it's currently running Windows Vista SP2 32-bit or 64-bit.

As there is no free upgrade from Windows Vista to a newer Windows version, so you would need to purchase it.

There is a free upgrade from Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, but that doesn't apply to you because your computer is running Windows Vista.

--------------------------------------------------------------

#5 · (Edited)
Hi, thanks for your replies. We have backed everything up but next I need to check if it has enough memory to run 8.1 or 10. It is quite an old machine now. Yes, have since discovered we wouldn't get a free upgrade from Vista. Vista home premium service pack 2. 32-bit operating system.

#6 ·
Hello;
I have recently played around with my windows vista computer. It is 9 years old and runs 32 bit vista. Since I am in the Windows Insider program, I have downloaded Windows 10 32 bit and set it up. The computer has 4GB RAM and amazingly Windows 10 works like a charm. After checking baseline computer stats that are required to run 64 bit and confirmed my computer had them, I then reinstalled the 64 bit version. This also runs quickly and well. I am still deciding whether I want to buy the 64 bit for such an old computer, but may end up doing so. You will be much better off going the clean install route.
In order to test Windows 10, I created a new partition 40GB, downloaded the ISO from MS, burned to disc and installed.
badness

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.