1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading OS from NT to Win2000

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Gram123, Jan 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gram123

Gram123 Thread Starter

This might be a stupid question, but....
    Our IT department has informed me that they are migrating from Windows NT to Windows 2000 next month. This affects all of the PCs in one office, but only one in the office where I'm situated.
    Whenever there are general/basic IT support questions, everyone comes to me first, the IT dept second.

Anyway, they have asked me if I need any assistance in sorting out the on-site Access databases. There are probably 15-20 such databases in operation, all using Access 97. Most are solely used on individual PCs, but a couple are used by more than one staff member over the network.

I initially thought there must be some confusion and that they meant they were upgrading from Office 97 to Office 2000, but no, apparently it's the OS they're changing.

So, my questions is, why would upgrading the OS affect the Access databases (or any other Office software) in operation?

Thanks in advance,
    Gram

2. Andy Kass

Andy Kass

I took the precaution of adding a drive to my system so that I could dual-boot WinNT4Pro and Win2KPro for a while, but the bottom line is, I found no application that responded differently to 2000 than to NT4; if anything, Win2000 gives you more compatibility tools than NT. We are even running some old DOS apps here, with NT, 2000, NetWare and Linux/Samba on the back end, and it all runs.

If you hit a problem with an application, check out the apcompat.exe utility -- if it's not in Winnt\System32, it's on the CD. That helps you set compatibility rules, including environment and memory management, for older applications.

Take heart: it really is an improvement. I think we'll be staying with Win2000 for quite a while, giving XP a miss.

Happy trails.

3. Gram123

Gram123 Thread Starter

That's what I figured Andy.

It really has very little bearing on me, because I don't use the NT machines, apart from occasional MS Office stuff.
    The other software that runs on these PCs is nationally networked, and written specifically for our business and so is outside my jurisdiction (and ability).

Thanks
    Gram

4. Brooks

Brooks Guest

It shouldn't affect the database, unless during the upgrade someone changes NT permissions, or they are planning on doing a format of the hard drives. To be on the safe side, I would make a complete backup of all the databases. You can always reinstall Access, which runs just fine on 2000, but if the databases are over written, you could be in big trouble.

5. Gram123

Gram123 Thread Starter

Well, I'd have thought that the IT people doing the installation should (hopefully) back up everyones files.
    But if not, I agree with you, Brooks, and I will set about backing up everyones files (there's probably 12 PCs in total).

Gram

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65987

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice