1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading OS

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by tbsk8er04, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tbsk8er04

tbsk8er04 Thread Starter

Hey I was thinking of upgrading my OS to a 64bit version of windows considering I have 4 gb. of ram. I have an AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600 + Dual Core Processor, should I be good to go with this, or will I have some troubles?

2. dannyn

dannyn

If you have xp, I would NOT switch to vista.
    I actually put xp on a brand new computer.

3. ryanjoachim

ryanjoachim

Based on your cpu and memory, you'll do fine with 64-bit vista.

Vista has come a LONG way since release, and has gotten a lot more stable and useable.

However, I would personally make 2 partitions on your HD (if you only have 1 HD). Keep XP installed on one partition, and put Vista on the other. A lot of times you'll run into issues with Vista that completely shut you down, and having the ability to boot into trusty XP makes your life a lot easier.

4. tbsk8er04

tbsk8er04 Thread Starter

We'll I have a version of Windows Vista SP1 32Bit but I want to upgrade it to a 64Bit version seeing how my processor is 64Bit but my question was whether it was worth upgrading considering I now have 4Gb of RAM installed, will I see a vast difference in speed or will it just be a waste of my time.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755548

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice