1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading P4 1.7Ghz processor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fbgod26, Mar 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fbgod26

fbgod26 Thread Starter

I've got a Gateway thats about 3 years old. The chipset is an Intel i845 with 384mb ram. Not much of a gamer, but I like to create & burn DVD's and the system is slow w/ video editing and creating dvd files. I image the problem is the processor as my 3.2 Ghz HT P4 flies when I do this stuff. So...

What I'm wondering is do you think upgrading the processor will help? How good of a processor can I stick in there (or can you show me a place online where I can check it out myself)?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

2. Sponsor

3. xavier57

xavier57

:) What is your Gateway CPU model number?

4. fbgod26

fbgod26 Thread Starter

CPU model number? I'm not sure, what do you mean? PC Wizard 2005 is telling me that "Support : mPGA-478" but I'm not sure thats the answer. How do I go about finding that? The CPU is the one thing i've not messed around w/ before.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

Usually the Gateway series/model number is printed right on the computer case and I think thats Xavier57 ws getting at.

Either way you will never be able to make that system perform near what your 3.2Ghz P4 with HT will be.

Here's why:
    Only 400Mhz Front Side Bus is supported. That means no newer model 533, 800, or 1066Mhz FSB CPU's, no Hyperthreading, and no 1 MB of CPU L2 cache. There's a potential to ue the 2.8GHz Pentium 4 that runs on the 400Mhz FSB, has 512KB of L2 cache and no hyperthreading.

Chipset only supports PC133 RAM SDRAM or PC1600/PC2600 DDR so it lacks the memory bandwidth which is very useful in DVD editing/authoring. If you are using PC133 RAM then this will be a huge bottleneck with any CPU. Even with 266Mhz DDR it will still be much slower then a new system with Dual Channel 400Mhz memory.

If the computer has onboard video that won't help either. ANd if the hard drive is an older 5400 RPM, 2MB cache drive then thats slowing you down too as you are using the hard drive quite a bit in DVD authoring.

Newer DVD drives are also faster then they were 3 years ago if the drive is an original.

If you intend to have another computer for DVD authoring you should retire this one and look for a new one. ANything else would be wasting your money.

6. fbgod26

fbgod26 Thread Starter

Fabolous info. I suspected that the answer would be that, but I wanted to check. Thanks a ton!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/345893