1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading PC...advice and suggestions welcomed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by slingblade09, May 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Compiler

Compiler

ASUS doesn't seem to do that lately, the "feature" is listed, but for the last 7 ASUS systems I built, it didn't work... and then came the failure rates. I switched to Gigabyte after that.

Gigabyte Intel chipsets, doesn't do keyboard boot. :(

2. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Yeah, I will admit though Gigabyte do offer some really great stuff earlier than other companys and somehow still do them cheap as well.

3. Compiler

Compiler

Gigabyte isn't what I would call cheap... they are more competitively priced. Generally the same as ASUS.

Biostar, ECS, ASRock, Jetway are on the low price area. PCCHips is below cat-litter pricing.

4. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

I have never heard of PCchips before.

5. Compiler

Compiler

They are/were the crappiest of the crap in the PC business. They are/were absorbed into ECS... Its a bit confusing. Many companies do odd stuff like this, rebranding, etc. ECS was a horrible company many years ago. They are still low on the list, but are better nowdays. I wouldn't buy an ECS product, still.

PC Chips, back in the mid-90s used to stick on fake ram cache chips on 486 motherboards. Back in the days before cache was built into CPUs. Yep, they bothered to pop in empty memory chips into boards and with a BIOS adjustment would show cache.

6. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

That is a little bit of a rip off :)

7. Compiler

Compiler

Think?

How about a pair of $50,000 speaker wire?

8. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

$50,000? Do people sell speaker cable for that much? I know HD cables are a rip off but if that is true then I am stunned lol.

9. Compiler

Compiler

I'm not kidding. They plug into very expensive CD and vinyl players... not your typical $50 decks.

Imagine what the speakers costs!

10. LRogers

LRogers

I just did an overhaul of my desktop, I know you like AMD, but as a gernal price-point guide.
    Intel DH55HC
    Intel Core i7 860
    Corsair 2x2GB Mem Kit
    nVidia GTS 250 PCIe 2.0 x16
    Thermalake 600 ATX PS
    All around $700 not including rebates from Microcenter. I used an old case with two case fans and I can play Aion on full and air is a little warm out of the fans.

11. Compiler

Compiler

Not bad... hey, like I said, I buy both.

I've just worked on an i5 Thinkpad... it very nice, smokes most core2s.

I just bought some parts in Microscenter. They price-matched a Corsair PSU $80 > down to $50 :)

FRY's has a "buy any LCD monitor, get a free Canon Multifunction printer (rebate)", model MP-490. Not use usual junk. Includes a color LCD screen, front flash-card slots. It'll replace my last free Canon Printer from 2 years ago, when it dies.

12. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Is it just me that thinks that Intel motherboards always look a little crappy. with open spaces with nothing in, Cheap looking power circetry and also heatsinks that look like an after thought? They are also way to expensive for what they are I think.

13. Compiler

Compiler

Intel boards have already been BASICS... no extra features.

For quite a while, intel no longer MAKES motherboards. Foxconn makes them for intel. But I'm sure intel may have a hand in the design and of course spec.

How the big guys work is opposite. Its not "Lets build a PC to these specs and sell it" - Apple.
    Its "It must have an MSRP at XXX price with XXX costs, build it". ie: HP to Foxconn: Build me a $500 PC at $380 and ship it. Nothing more.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!