1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dkapiate, Jan 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dkapiate

Dkapiate Thread Starter

Current specs :
    Thermaltake Xaser III case (not sure if it supports full-ATX)
    Acer H11H4-AD2 Mini-ITX motherboard
    Intel Core i5-6400 @ 2.7GHz
    Stock Intel Cooler
    Thermaltake TR2-600W 80+ Bronze PSU
    8GB of 1600MHz DDR3 RAM (Single-channel)
    XFX AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB Black Edition
    Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD
    Western Digital Green 120GB Sata3 M.2 (boot drive)
    6x 80mm case fans

I want to upgrade my CPU to a Ryzen 7 1700X unless you can recommend something else (and be able to OC, so, I want a mobo that can do so)
    I am limited on budget, so I want a good value/price mobo, and RAM to pair with it. planning on going for 2, 8GB sticks of RAM Just want some suggestions on what I should get for both.
    My budget for the RAM, CPU, and mobo is anywhere from $600-750CAD ($453-566USD)

Also, will my PSU be powerful enough for that?
    PSU specs :
    600W continuous
    720W Peak output
    +5V = 25A
    +3.3V = 25A
    +12V = 50A
    has both a 4+4 pin for CPU, and a 20+4 pin for either type of mobo.

Edit : Would a Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler work with a 1700X, and be able to OC with it a bit?

Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    According to your specs, your Acer motherboard is using an Intel processor.
    You cannot install an AMD processor in a motherboard that supports an Intel processor.

Is your computer by any chance an Acer Aspire TC-710 desktop?
    Regardless of what model your Acer is, what is the exact SNID number on it?

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. Dkapiate

Dkapiate Thread Starter

I wasn't saying I wanted to put a different CPU into my TC-710, im getting a new mobo, re-read my question.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

These two statements are mutually exclusive ie you are not going to overclock with a budget [read cheap] board.
    Ryzen has incredible performance. I have a 1700X [overclocked to 3.9gig] however the board I use is an asus ROG board; not cheap at approx. $190 or so.

IMO ryzen is NOT for a new or inexperienced builder. Ryzen is not intel where you can just slap parts together and it works well. To achieve a high level of performance with ryzen, you are going to have to make a LOT of bios settings manually then test for stability.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW you are going to need a new copy of windows. The windows lic for an acer is not going to work with an aftermarket board.

6. Dkapiate

Dkapiate Thread Starter

I already had to get a new copy of Windows 10 when I added my M.2 (I'll just need a new key when I switch motherboards), so it shouldn't be a problem, and I am aware of how to OC. I've done it before with my old Core 2 Quad, (messing with voltage levels, power ratio's, etc.). I'm not looking for a cheap board, just something that backs up its price.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222129

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice