1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

upgrading processor; is it possible?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fenderjaguar, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fenderjaguar

fenderjaguar Thread Starter

i've currently got a Dell dimension 4100. with a P3 1000MHZ processor. i'm told the motherboard is one of these things:

Intel 139671 motherboard with 815 chipset

so, my question is; can i upgrade the processor to something a little faster, without changing the motherboard out of the PC?

2. Sponsor

3. fenderjaguar

oh yeah, and if i do have to change the motherboard, can i use all the old things? the motherboard uses SD ram.

4. hansmax

hansmax

The Dell site does not give a range, just says it comes with a 1 GHz. I doubt you could get much over that with this board, maybe 1.2, possibly 1.4, but you may be stuck with this because who knows how dell contracts their boards out.

5. Lurker1

Lurker1

It looks like you are already at or near the top. Its not worth upgrading for just the small amount you might gain.

Specs for 4100 at Dell site.

Microprocessor type
    Intel Pentium III processor
    667, 733, 800, 866, or 933 MHz internally and 133 MHz externally, or 1GHz internally and 133 MHz externally, or 1.1 GHz internally and 100 MHz externally

Intel Celeron processor
    1.0 and 1.1 GHz internally and 100 MHz externally

6. fenderjaguar

damb :(

thanks guys

7. websoft

websoft

for the cost of upgrading, i would suggest a new computer. since u dont have a problem with the package deals from companies like dell (all the non standard parts inside the comp) i would suggest looking into an emachines
    amd 3000+ processor, 64 meg on board vid card, dvd\cd burner, 512 ram (actually 448 cuz of vid card, but still good), 160 gig hd-only $600. ive run many games on highest quality with no problems. very worthwhile especially for the price i got it at.

so unless u r a really avid gamer who likes to install all your own things and build a comp from scratch, this comp should suit you very well

8. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I would save some money and build leaving room for future upgrades. If I were to start over I would still be able to use the CDroms, PSU, Case, Video card, etc.
    The first build will cost you, but after that you can keep up for less. Right now I would need a processor, and depending on where I wanted to go possibly ram and board.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!