1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading Processor on Dell Dimension 4600i

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NeciFiX, Nov 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NeciFiX

NeciFiX Thread Starter

Mine has the onboard video, here is the service manual: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4600/en/4600i/sm/index.htm

It says it can go up to 3.2 GHz with 3.4 GHz internally and 800 MHz externally or something like that, what does that mean? In DXDiag it says I have a 2.8 GHz CPU with Hyperthreading (2 CPU's) and in my BIOS two or three days ago it said my L2 Cache was 1 MB, so the 512 KB max rule confuses me. Any idea on any processors I should use? I've never really replaced/put one in before, not a hardware pro, I'm fairly sure I should be able to do it though if in the future I ever decide to replace it.

Full Mobo Specs: Intel 865PE or Intel 865G (according to the service manual). E210882 model #.

Thank you,

NeciFiX

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

The difference in the processors is the architecture. Without getting too technical the processors with a 512kb are 130nm (0.13u) Northwood cored processors. The processors with a 1mb L2 cache are 90nm Prescott cored processors.

From your statement you have a 2.8Ghz. 1mb L2 cache 800Mhz FSB processor. Going to a 3.2Ghz. or 3.4Ghz. 1mb L2 cache 800Mhz. processor would provide a negligibile increase in performance.

Instead of changing the processor your best bet for increased performance would be to add more memory. If you are now operating with 256mb or 512mb of memory adding more memory would be a much better upgrade. If you are running Windows XP, I would increase the memory to 1gb. and you will see increased performance. According to the link to Dell your board will support up to 4gb. of memory, but 1gb of memory should be plenty for most normal applications.

Also, the E210882 model number you show is not the board model number. This is an Underwriter Lab file number.

3. NeciFiX

NeciFiX Thread Starter

Well, it came with the Dimension 4600i so now I am not so sure. I currently have 2 GB of RAM :).

4. brite750

brite750

short of going with a whole new pc you are pretty much topped out, what are you trying to run that is making you think you need an upgrade?

5. NeciFiX

NeciFiX Thread Starter

Well, I might decide to get a sound card considering that it will take the load off the processor and make my music a little better. :)

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Get a 256 Agp video card and replace the onboard if you have the slot which I believe you do ...that will give you much more relief than a sound card replacement.

7. brite750

brite750

4xagp?

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Dell shows 8X Agp Brite. Problem is this is for 4600 and I don't see 4600i so I don't know for sure if there is a slot. He has to open it to be sure, I believe it has one.

9. brite750

brite750

oh wrong thread;)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!