1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading Processor Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MasterNe0, Feb 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MasterNe0

MasterNe0 Thread Starter

Ok. Current I have a Intel Pentium 4 640 Prescott 800MHz FSB LGA 775 EM64T Processor Model BX80547PG3200F (3.2 Ghz).
    Motherboard a ASUS MB P5WD2 Premium Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 955X ATX Intel Motherboard.

Im about to upgrade to a Core Duo and was wondering if first) will I need to reformat my pc when I upgrade it and 2) Can I look for any LGA 775 core duo or do I need to find something specific?

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

That board doesn't support Core 2 Duos. The only dual core it supports is the Pentium D. (Unless there was a later BIOS update that enabled C2D's).

Core Duos are mobile processors, different socket.

You will probably want to be looking at Pentium D 9xx series.

3. MasterNe0

MasterNe0 Thread Starter

something like the Intel Pentium D 950 Presler 3.4GHz 2 x 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor.

My second question is do I have to reformat or will it take affect immediately?

4. telegramsam

telegramsam

That would be a good choice.

You'll have to do at least a repair install to make the OS use both cores. By default, SMP awareness would be shut off on a single core install. So yeah, plan on doing a reinstall. A repair is OK, but fresh install would be best to make sure everything is cool.

5. Leec65

Leec65

first i would reset the bios so it will look for the CPU as long as the chipset is the same you should be ok

6. accat13

accat13

7. telegramsam

telegramsam

That crummy site is always slow. Dead links, etc. If I didn't know ASUS made good motherboards, I wouldn't buy them just based on how poorly managed their website is. Pretty poor reflection of their overall quality, IMO. Ok, end of pointless rant...:)

Definitely check the website for CPU support and BIOS updates that might be necessary as accat recommended.

8. Leec65

Leec65

9. telegramsam

telegramsam

That's where I run into most of my problems, is finding older stuff.

Seems like as soon as it switches to ASUStek is when most of the problems begin. Some days it's not so bad.

10. Leec65

Leec65

right I was having the same problem and that when I just tryed googling for the board and finded out it work a lot faster that then trying go thru there site

11. telegramsam

telegramsam

I'll keep that in mind--thanks!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/545685

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice