1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

upgrading processor ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by keyz, Mar 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. keyz

keyz Thread Starter

My apologies in advance, but I am up to my earholes in alligators and do not want to take the time to figure this out myself...

Am I right in thinking that an installed processor can be removed from a board and replaced (with a faster one...)?

The processor is just glued on, right? And it can be removed, but is it easy to do that, and is it in any way not an advisable procedure??? Any compatibility concerns of the new processor with the old board?

Thanx...

2. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

They are just clamped in. Yes you can upgrade your processor if your board supports it.

3. phatmattrat

phatmattrat

Nope, they're not glued in. You just take off the heatsink/fan, lift up the arm and it should come out without using any force at all. However... you can't just simply upgrade from a Pentium 2 400Mhz to a Pentium 4 3.4Ghz or what not. You need to make sure your motherboard and power supply are sufficient for the next CPU. Socket 478 is the current socket standard for P4 processors. The ASUS P4C800 series is a good choice. Also make sure you get/have at least a 350W Power Supply.

4. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

Not only must the mobo accept the cpu upgrade, if a BIOS flash is needed for the new cpu to work, that must be done while the OLD cpu is still installed. When upgrading cpus always update the mobo drivers, sound and video drivers if not everything. It's a good time to do a total update of drivers for everything; software updates, firmware updates and a complete system maintenance run through (virus scan, spyware scan, disk cleanup, defrag, etc.). Clean off any residue from the mobo where the old cpu was clamped down and re-apply new thermal grease thinly. Make sure to have cpu facing the right way or you will bend the pins and possibly ruin something. Do all of this AFTER completely removing the mobo from the case. It's real easy to crack the mobo when installing a new cpu/heatsink/fan.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can only install a new CPU that is supported by the motherboard. Hence, if you have a Pentium 3, which most commonly uses a socket 370, you must install a Pentium 3 with a socket 370 pin-out. You can't go from a Pentium 3 to a Pentium 4, and AMD and Pentium CPU's are not interchangeable either.

You need to identify the current hardware you have before you consider any upgrade. Post what computer/motherbaord/CPU/RAM/etc you have for recommendations.

6. keyz

keyz Thread Starter

The unit appears to be an "Athlon 2700", altho it was supposed to be a "3000"...

AIDA32 CPU Type = "Mobile AMD Athlon XP-M, 1333 MHz (3 x 444) 1500+", and CPU Alias = 'Thouroughbred-a"

It is a desktop, even tho above states mobile. Does that indicate that they stuck a (slower) laptop processor in the desktop? Or is the above info simply textual description?

The whole scenario is that I procured what was supposed to be an Athlon 3000, but found out later that it was a 2700, and the tech shop that sold it to me moans and groans that they would have to replace everything, including the board, and start all over again, but my contention is that they should likely be able to replace just the processor to get a few more MHz out of the rig...

Added question: the "2700" weighs in at only 1,333 MHz, but in theory, as I understand it, "2700" supposedly equates to 2700 MHz on the intel side -- does that sound right?

7. RSM123

RSM123

Hi,

When I bought one my two pcs (both Athlon 2600s) - the second booted and it stated Athlon 1900. On checking I found out that they had not set the FSB correctly which merely necessitated a quick change in the Bios.

However in your case - it seems that you have not got what you paid for. Whoever these people are they don't seem to be trustworthy to me. Personally I would take the whole thing back for a refund and buy elsewhere. After all what would they do if you agreed to pay them $1000 - and then only gave them $750 ?
    I hardly think they would tolerate that why should you ?

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    A desktop AMD XP 2700+ runs at around 2.17 Ghz.

Take the computer back and have them give you what you sold and make sure its setup correct. If not threaten to call the Better Business Bureau or tell them you'll sue. Personally I would ask for my money back and buy somewhere else. Mistakes happen but they should be fixed immediately when they are found.

9. ohheck

ohheck

10. keyz

keyz Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info -- I did manage to get them to replace the 2700 with a 3000, but I had to argue with them about it for a while, and will no longer do business with them...

...which prompts me to pose another question on this subject (since I do not particularly want to deal with them anymore):

The 3000 (pro3000a+) is rated at 2.167GHz, but it is only registering 1.47GHz (1466MHz, 3 x 489), with external clock at 133MHz, real clock at 244 MHz, effective clock at 489, CPU stepping = 1. Is it just set at a lower speed, and do I need to tweak something to bump it up to rated speed?

edit: By the way, the "new" 3000 also registers as "mobile" and as a "thoroughbred" model but is supposed to be a "barton" model. The "techs" at the shop blame this on something about the board and the CPU not reading out properly -- are they still feeding me line? I am going to try the AMD "cpuid" prog when I can get it on the new machine to see if that reports same info...

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The Pro3000A+ is more like the Celeron in the Intel Line, it is not a Barton and it's usually physically/permantently attached to the motherboard. The Athlon XP 3000+ runs at 2.167 Ghz on a 333Mhz FSB or 2.1Ghz if its the 400Mhz FSB version. What you have is the much lower performance Mobile AMD XP 1900+ which is referred to an AMD PRO3000 - it runs at 1.47Ghz. This CPU is generally soldered right onto the motherboard and is sold as a very low cost for basic computers, onboard video is also a norm with these boards. Hopefully you did not pay a whole lot for this.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/210830

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice